It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Where Can I Find org.eclipse.core.runtime.IProgressMonitor?

Nate Decker (37814761) | asked Apr 16 '14, 9:14 a.m.
edited Apr 16 '14, 9:16 a.m.

I am trying to work on some plug-in development for extending RTC and am using some sample code provided as part of a workshop as the basis for my efforts. However, the workshop code includes a reference to a plug-in that isn't included in my eclipse environment.

The following code:

final IQueryableAttribute attributeID = factory.findAttribute(projectArea, attributeIdentifier, auditableCommon, monitor)

Generated errors for each of the parameters of the function. Each error looked something like:

[parameter name] cannot be resolved to a variable

To address it, I looked at the function definition for factory.findAttribute. The definition specified the types of the arguments to the function so I went ahead and declared each argument locally within the function using the identified types:

IAuditableCommon
IProjectAreaHandle
String
IProgressMonitor

For some of these, specifying the type required that I add a reference to a plug-in. The eClipse IDE helped me identify which plug-ins needed to be referenced. However, when I got to IProgressMonitor, the expected plug-in could not be found. I have installed the 4.0.6 RTC SDK, but it doesn't appear to include org.eclipse.core.runtime.IProgressMonitor among the provided plug-ins and that plug-in doesn't appear to be part of my eClipse installation either.

Can someone steer me in the right direction here?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Nate Decker (37814761) | answered Apr 16 '14, 9:20 a.m.
Evidently I needed to add a reference to a package rather than a plug-in. The missing package was org.eclipse.core.runtime.
Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
sam detweiler commented Apr 16 '14, 10:03 a.m.

well, actually not true..

it is packaged in
jar org.eclipse.equinox.common

Nate Decker commented Apr 19 '16, 1:40 p.m.

I recently ran across this issue again. Previously it was during extension development (operation behaviors), this time it was during Java client development.

Strangely, adding the org.eclipse.core.runtime packageĀ solved the problem when doing extensions development, but adding a reference to that jar file in Java Client development does not. In fact, if I add a reference to that jar file and then expand the list of classes that belong to it, the IProgressMonitor class is not even present.

Searching online actually led me back to this very question and Sam's response. Adding a reference to org.eclipse.equinox.common does indeed satisfy the IProgressMonitor reference. I feel like I'm in library hell a little bit here. I don't understand why it's different between the two API types.

Anyway, I thought I would post this updated comment on here for future reference.

sam detweiler commented Apr 19 '16, 1:44 p.m.

I think it is packaged in one of the server function jar files too.. and NOT in the client api jars.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.