It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Requirements change control in DOORS Next Gen

Joe Gariano (8813137) | asked Apr 14 '14, 10:44 a.m.
retagged Aug 03 '18, 4:32 p.m. by Ken Tessier (84117)

At our company, we have projects using RTC with traditional DOORS and with DOORS Next Generation.  IBM provides an integration between RTC and traditional DOORS that serves as a requirements change control mechanism.  You can use the plugin to set rules that say certain attributes on certain requirements cannot be changes without an RTC based change management process.  This integration requires the use of DOORS 9.5 or greater.

Is there a similar type of change control mechanism for DOORS Next Gen?  I'm familiar with the native integration of RTC and DOORS Next Gen for things like the "implemented by" links and suspicion profiles.  But I'm yet to find a requirements change control type of feature.  I'd be ok if such a feature didn't use RTC.  I'm not picky about the details, I'm just looking for a mechanism to formally control requirements changes within DOORS Next Gen. 

Note that we are running version 4.0.2 of the CLM suite.

Thanks,
Joe Gariano

Comments
Sean F commented Jul 01 '18, 5:12 p.m. | edited Jul 06 '18, 7:06 p.m.
Is there any update on this?

I understand that RTC can be used for change control in DNG if Configuration Management is enabled (DNG change sets can be subject to RTC change control) - is that correct?

But what if Configuration Management is not being used? Is there any way to leverage RTC to do change management in that case? or is there any way within DNG stand-alone to do change management?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Apr 14 '14, 11:31 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
This automated control of change is not yet available with DOORS NG, but it is in our roadmap.
You can find some plan items by searching for "change management" at https://jazz.net/jazz03/web/projects/Requirements Management

Today you can use change requests in RTC to reflect approval of changes, but you need to then manually change an attribute on the relevant DOORS NG artifact(s) to reflect their approved state.

Joe Gariano selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Rosa Naranjo (2.9k11623) | answered Apr 14 '14, 11:44 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Hello Joe
When I looked into this, I came to the conclusion that this feature is NOT a DOORS Next Gen feature but rather a DOORS feature.  DOORS Next Gen is meant as a complement to DOORS and not as a replacement.

In the above link, it specifically calls out this mechanism as a feature of DOORS, not DOORS Next Gen.
However, when reading this document
Which IBM Rational requirements management tool is best for your teams? it does provide a comment regarding how one can do requirements change management to some degree. But, it does say there is a way to control the change process.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.