It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Specify comment for RTC change sets created by ClearCase synchronizer?

Greg Pflaum (67913) | asked Apr 03 '14, 6:06 p.m.
In the configuration for a ClearCase synchronized stream, on the ClearCase tab we can configure a ClearCase checkin comment, and on the RTC tab we can configure a work item template. Is there any way to configure the RTC change set comment for change sets created by the synchronizer?

The sync works fine, but when a developer tries to merge change sets from the sync stream in RTC to another stream in RTC, their delivery fails because we have a precondition that requires change sets to have an associated work item and a comment.

- Greg

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Apr 04 '14, 2:12 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
There is not currently a way to automatically add a comment to each change set created by the synchronizer, so you would need to submit an enhancement work item for this.   Note that I personally would never require that a change set have a comment in addition to an associated work item.
Greg Pflaum selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Greg Pflaum commented Apr 04 '14, 11:39 p.m.
Thanks Geoff.

A change set comment is sometimes redundant when the change set is associated with a work item. But the comments often communicate different, useful information. For example, a defect summary usually describes a symptom ("homepage is blank"), while the change set comment can describe what was changed to fix the problem ("show default page when sessionNonce is null"). Of course a developer can enter a comment even if it isn't required, but we find that the projects which require both have a much higher percentage of useful comments, and few filler comments.

I opened an RFE: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=47206

- Greg

Geoffrey Clemm commented Apr 05 '14, 12:26 a.m. | edited Apr 05 '14, 12:27 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I recommend not requiring a comment on a change set that is linked to a work item, because I'd rather have the summary information in the work item, and have the detailed information in comments in the code, so that it is visible whenever you are editing the code.   Just my personal preference.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.