It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Extension of the Work Item Editor

Lars Geyer-Blaumeiser (361) | asked Mar 27 '09, 12:05 p.m.
Hello,

Can anybody tell me whether and if yes when I can expect a feature for work item editor customization as described below?

We have a special work item type, story, which has two additional text custom attributes How to demo and a description how the story is tested. We want these two text fields editable in the Overview page.

The first idea was to add two presentations to the Description section. The problem is, that the available space is equally distributed. For me that is not a problem but I have a 1600x1200 screen. Some colleagues are not that priviledged and they have a space problem in the work item editor. Is there any property that allows to define the size of the test areas? Is there a possibility to make them closeable, so that the user can reduce the text areas to an "iconified" state?

The second idea is to use own sections for both text areas. What is necessary to define a layout that allows to have more slots or can I use the standard layout and define additional slots?

Thanks and Regards,
Lars

8 answers

permanent link
Marcel Bihr, Jazz Work Item team (1.4k) | answered Mar 30 '09, 2:34 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Lars
To be able to collapse and expand a presentation, you have to include it into a section (as you your second idea). If you need more than two sections in a column, you can not use the Overview Layout. However, you can switch your Overview tab to use the Custom Attributes Layout and have your text sections in the 'right' slot. Starting with 2.0M3D1, you can add the 'expanded' property with value 'false' to a section s.t. it will initially show up collapsed.

Regards

Marcel
Jazz Work Item team

permanent link
Lars Geyer-Blaumeiser (361) | answered Apr 21 '09, 7:37 a.m.
Hello Marcel,

can you please give me information on what exactly I have to do to change the layout of the overview editor page. Is your sollution possible in Jazz 1.0.1. We are currently using this version and plan to upgrade in June, so I need to know whether I have to wait or can change this directly.

Thank you,
Lars

permanent link
Marcel Bihr, Jazz Work Item team (1.4k) | answered Apr 27 '09, 5:48 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Lars
To transfer your overview tab to the custom attributes layout, you have to do the following steps:
- Edit the tab, change the Layout to 'Custom Attributes Layout'
- Edit all the sections in the tab, change the slots from
- 'details' to 'left'
- 'quickinfo' to 'left'
- 'description' to 'right'
- 'discussion' to 'right'
- Can then add an additional section (or two) with a presentation showing your custom text attributes. use slot 'right' for these sections, too.

Be aware that the custom attributes layout may look and behave a bit different from the overview layout, so testing this first is highly recommended.

This is all available in 1.0.1 (maybe the slots and layouts do not have nice display names, but show ids, but it should be easy to understand what I meant in the enumeration above).

Regards

Marcel
Jazz Work Item team

permanent link
Lars Geyer-Blaumeiser (361) | answered May 19 '09, 11:18 a.m.
Hi Marcel,

I did the changes, you proposed and it worked as expected, thank you for that. Unfortunately there are some additional issues I am confronted with:

1. In some places we have double headlines, e.g. the quick information has a section header and a presentation header that shows Quick Information, the same is with section that correspond to the defined custom attributes. It is not the case in the description section. Can I get rid of one of the attribute titles? Especially Quick Information uses the same section as with the standard Overview layout used for other work item editors. There the double headline is not shown. I would like to show an image but don't know how I can upload.
I paste parts of the configuration in here:

<section>
<presentation>
</section>

<section>
<presentation>
</section>

2. Is there a documentation of properties for presentations. Especially, I want to specify attributes as mandatory, sections as closed by default and default sizes for sections. Is this possible using the property mechanism?

Thanks and kind regards,
Lars Geyer-Blaumeiser

permanent link
Marcel Bihr, Jazz Work Item team (1.4k) | answered May 20 '09, 3:35 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Lars
Your specification snippet is not displaying corretly (you should use 'Disable HTML in this post' for xml snippets).

1. There is a property 'noHeader' (case sensitive), that will hide the section header if set to 'true'. To hide the label of a presentation, you can use 'labelVisible' set to false. As default the label should not be shown when the presentation is the only one in a section (the Overview Layout has some additional hardcoded functionality for that).

2. The Work Item Customization document https://jazz.net/learn/LearnItem.jsp?href=content/docs/work-items-cust/index.html has some information about required properties and presentations. However these docs are not yet updated for 2.0, there are additional properties. E.g. to collapse a section initially you can use 'expanded' 'false' on the section .

Regards

Marcel
Jazz Work Item team

permanent link
Lars Geyer-Blaumeiser (361) | answered May 20 '09, 4:33 a.m.
Hi Marcel,

thanks for the quick response. I tried your hints out, but only the noHeader worked. labelVisible and expanded did not work. I enter the snippets from the configuration, perhaps I made something wrong. I have to point out that I use the builtInCustomAttributesLayout layout for the overview page because of your former tip. Did I do anything wrong?

Thanks and regards,
Lars

<tab>
<section>
<section>
<property>
</section>
<section>
<property>
</section>
<section>
<property>
</section>
<section>
<property>
</section>
<section>
</tab>
<section>
<presentation>
<property>
</presentation>
</section>

permanent link
Lars Geyer-Blaumeiser (361) | answered May 20 '09, 4:35 a.m.
Sorry again the snippets:
<tab id="com.ibm.team.workitem.tab.custom.story.overview" layout="builtInCustomAttributesLayout">
<section sectionId="com.ibm.team.workitem.tab.custom.story.details" slot="left" title="Details"/>
<section sectionId="com.ibm.team.workitem.section.quickinformation" slot="left" title="Quick Information">
<property key="noHeader" value="true"/>
</section>
<section sectionId="com.ibm.team.workitem.section.description" slot="right" title="Description">
<property key="expanded" value="false"/>
</section>
<section sectionId="com.ibm.team.editor.section.custom.howtodemo" slot="right" title="How to Demo">
</section>
<section sectionId="com.ibm.team.editor.section.custom.howtotest" slot="right" title="How to Test">
</section>
<section sectionId="com.ibm.team.workitem.section.discussion" slot="right" title="Discussion"/>
</tab>
<section id="com.ibm.team.editor.section.custom.howtodemo">
<presentation attributeId="com.ibm.team.attributes.custom.howtodemo" id="com.ibm.team.editor.custom.howtodemo" kind="com.ibm.team.workitem.kind.internal.description">
<property key="labelVisible" value="false"/>
</presentation>
</section>

permanent link
Marcel Bihr, Jazz Work Item team (1.4k) | answered May 22 '09, 3:20 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Lars

expanded and labelVisible are only available in 2.0. Your spec looks correct and the properties work for me (at least in the eclipse client, I did not try the Web UI).

Regards

Marcel
Jazz Work Item team

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.