It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is there a way to page through artifacts in RRC?

Michael Haun (4921924) | asked Mar 18 '14, 4:18 p.m.
I'm looking for functionality that is similar to RTC.  In RTC if you run a query and you open a work item to view it, you'll have a tool/buttons at the top center of the screen to page to the next work item or the previous work item.  RRC can benefit from this same functionality.  RRC is essentially built upon queries and views so when you're in a certain view/folder/collection/tag you should be able to page through each artifact without having to go back to the view/folder/collection/tag.

Is there functionality for this already that I may not have switched on or is this planned for a future release?

One answer

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Mar 18 '14, 7:27 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Mar 18 '14, 7:33 p.m.
How would you define "previous" or "next" ... sequentially created?  IMO this is a relatively poor heuristic in a multi-user system if you are seeking relevancy.

RRC/RDNG offer other ways to find the "next relevant artifact" which I gather is your goal. Most significantly, artifacts in a module exist in a structured, hierarchical relationship, so finding the next meaningful artifact usually means scrolling up or down one more row.

Where modules are not being used ...
  • the filters and views make it easy to query and sort artifacts, then reuse these settings.
  • where the artifacts are in a sequence telling a story, some users put "previous" and "next" links into their documents, for example this scenario doc:

Comments
Daniel Moul commented Mar 18 '14, 7:27 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

That said, you are welcome to open an enhancement request for the behavior you describe.

Kirk Grotjohn commented Mar 19 '14, 9:13 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

here is an existing enhancement request if you would like to subscribe and/or comment: Prev/Next button/function for artifacts in the detail edit view (61881)

I think the goal is to be able to view the details of a set of artifacts one at a time, w/o having to open, go back, open the next one, go back, etc.  

fyi, we already do something like this within a review, although I know that doesn't help you.

Michael Haun commented Mar 19 '14, 9:58 a.m.

Thanks Daniel and Kirk.  Enhancement 61881 is what I was looking for and I added a comment.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.