It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Link Indicators and Change Bars in DOORS NG

Paul Miller (1034) | asked Mar 12 '14, 1:12 a.m.
Have searched the on-line help, cannot find any references to the display of Link Indicators and Change Bars - does DOORS NG support these two indicators just like DOORS Classic?

2 answers

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Mar 12 '14, 6:44 p.m.
There is no "link indicator" in DOORS NG. It is basically called links and shown in the "Links" section when you view an artifact.
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m6/topic/com.ibm.rational.rrm.help.doc/topics/t_calm_assoc_jazz.html
The "change bars" should be similar to suspect indicator in DOORS NG, which is part of the suspect traceability.
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m6/topic/com.ibm.rational.rrm.help.doc/topics/c_suspect_trace.html

Comments
Paul Miller commented Mar 12 '14, 7:35 p.m.

Hi Donald,

Thanks for replying. As a DOORS Classic user, the display of Link Indicators and particularly Change Bars in the Main Column are very important and useful. You get instant visual feedback that a change has occured to an artefact, or that an artefact unexpectantly has no links when it should. As these indicators are also hotspots that link to immediate information, this is important for usability. Do you think these usability features are in the pipeline to be included in DOORS NG? 

Donald Nong commented Mar 13 '14, 1:15 a.m.

Hi Paul,
What I can say is that the product get improvements along the way. Whether or not the particular feature takes the form of DOORS Classic? Sorry I don't have the answer either.

permanent link
Kirk Grotjohn (1.2k3) | answered Mar 13 '14, 2:01 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 There are no link indicators per se.  You can see whether or not an artifact has links at a glance by adding a column to the display showing links of a particular type. for example, within a stakeholder requirement module, you might add a column to show "Satisfied by" links to see which artifacts are "Satisfied by" System Requirements, and which are not.  If you want to show all links (regardless of type) in a single column, or just show an indicator that links are present, that you cannot do.  It is something we are currently considering though.  

FYI, another approach to get this info would be to create a filter that shows all Stakeholder Requirements that do NOT have a link to a System Requirement.  

With respect to change bars, we are also aware of this feature not being in DNG.  We will likely have something that provides a similar function when we finish implementing Change Management control (e.g., being able to see how a module is different from a previous baseline) although it might not take the exact same form as it does in DOORS.  

Comments
Paul Miller commented Mar 13 '14, 8:07 p.m.

Hi Kirk,

Thanks for your response - all I can do is encourage IBM to take what is really good about DOORS Classic and replicate it in DOORS NG. I like the way DOORS NG is going, the artefact based architecture and the retention of the ability to manage requirements in a document look-n-feel Module format is the way to go. All I can say is that the hot spot Link Indicators and the highly visible, and configurable control, of the Change Bars in DOORS classic have always been big positives in that tool.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.