It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Does anyone know if there is capability in RDNG which allows folders to be synced with local folder on laptops? Like onedrive or dropbox

Ritika Aggarwal (9011222) | asked Jun 11 '15, 1:59 a.m.
 Does anyone know if there is capability in RDNG which allows folders to be synced with local folder on laptops? Like onedrive or dropbox

2 answers

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k614) | answered Jun 16 '15, 11:10 p.m.
I don't think so. When you say "sync", does it mean one-way (download only) or two-way? RDNG does not have any "real" client on the client machine other than the browser, and what application do you expect to execute the "sync" action?

Comments
Ritika Aggarwal commented Jun 17 '15, 1:05 a.m.

Thank you for responding!

Here's the business scenario:-

As-Is

The user has same folder hierarchy on the local machine as in RDNG. Now, suppose he updates document 1 and saves it.

Second step is to upload the document manually to RDNG and then inform the other user to refer to the same.

To-Be

The user has same folder hierarchy on the local machine as in RDNG. Now, when he updates document 1 and clicks on Save, it saves on local machine as well as updates on RDNG in one step.

Please suggest.

Taly Hotimsky commented Jun 18 '15, 6:15 a.m.

If I understand this scenario correctly, you're mostly using RDNG as a document repository, which is not the intention for the tool.

If the requirements are all stored in the documents that are being locally kept, you're probably not making the best use of RDNG's Requirements Management capabilities, as having the docs in the tool is not the same as having the requirements reside in the tool.
Also, if changes are being made locally and then later uploaded to the tool, you're likely missing collaboration features that the tool offers.

Maybe I missed something or your scenario description doesn't fully reflect the reality of your business, but I'd strongly consider moving out of the local documents instead of going down the path of reinforcing its usage.

permanent link
Howard Hsiao (5.5k17) | answered Jun 18 '15, 12:38 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
If you can do Java programming and are familiar with DNG REST API, you should be able to use the file change notification API (Watch Service API) to achieve what you want.
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/essential/io/notification.html

The Watch Service API enables us to detect file creation, file deletion and file modification in a directory.
Once one of the event is triggered, you can call DNG REST API to update the corresponding artifacts in DNG.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.