It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to remove Menu Items from Rational Team Concert WebUI

Kenery Wang (6411727) | asked Mar 06 '14, 11:40 p.m.
retagged Mar 13 '14, 9:41 a.m. by Ralph Earle (25739)
Hello,

I'm using RTC v4.0.3. Now I'd like to simplify my RTC Web UI for my customer to use.

For example, the customer will concentrate on using the 'work item' function, so I would like to remove the 'source control' and 'Build' button from the tool bar in a project area web page, preventing some unpredictable maintenance troubles.

Be possible to do that? If okay, then how?

I've searched jazz.net and found an article which would be relevant to this customization: 
https://jazz.net/library/LearnItem.jsp?href=content/docs/web-ui-programming/index.html 

Is it the one I should study about? Or some other resources you could share with me?

Thanks for your answers.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k375103) | answered Mar 07 '14, 2:16 a.m.
Hi Kenery,
You will find instructions here: http://tbourque.wordpress.com/2012/08/13/removing-menu-items-from-rational-team-concert-webui/
Please let us know if that helps.
Kenery Wang selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Kenery Wang commented Mar 07 '14, 2:44 a.m.

Hi Krzysztof,

Well, I followed the way in the link you provided, now I cannot load the web page.. there will be a pop-up window said "SyntaxError: Unexpected identifier".

How can I fix it? Thanks.   

Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk commented Mar 07 '14, 3:25 a.m.

Hi Kenery,
Please provide us your teamserver.properties property which you have modified before and after the change. I will look into that.

Kenery Wang commented Mar 07 '14, 3:34 a.m. | edited Mar 07 '14, 3:40 a.m.

Hi Krzysztof,

Sorry, it's my mistake to type one more "]" in the configuration field...

Anyway, it works!! Thank you so much!

But I got the same question as the comment in that post. Is it possible to do such removal of menu item just on some of project areas? It's really important because our RD team will keep using the original one.

Thanks for your responses.  

3 other answers

permanent link
Dr. Hans-Joachim Pross (1.1k4458) | answered Mar 07 '14, 4:00 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Mar 07 '14, 4:56 a.m.
Do you know this and this forum threads? Especially the second one explains how to hide menu items.
You should know that this "global" for your installation and can not be done on project area bases.
Maybe you want to open an enhancement request and link it to this forum thread?

And it hides just the entries and does not disable the functionality.

Comments
Kenery Wang commented Mar 07 '14, 4:25 a.m.

Hi Dr. Hans-Joachim Pross,

That's too bad. Cause just like what I said we need to keep the original one, and just simplify on some of project areas for customer to use.

Do you have some suggestions on this issue? Should I install two different RTC on the server to fulfill my requirement?

Looking forward to hearing from you, thanks!

permanent link
Dr. Hans-Joachim Pross (1.1k4458) | answered Mar 07 '14, 4:54 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Yes, I have the same issue for one of my customers.
My use case: Enable people to submit defects and monitor their submissions and nothing else.

My work around idea: Export a Dashboard Widget and put it on an intranet html page. Have a button on that page to submit defects. See this thread. But unfortunately that does not work, too.

If in your scenario the users just working with work item are disconnected of those working with source code, having to RTC instances might work. If the work item-users are the people using the stuff, the source control users are creating, that is, from my point of view, far away from optimum.

My suggestion: Scan the RFEs and vote that or, if nothing is there, submit a RFE and link it to this thread.

permanent link
Georg Kellner (840378109) | answered Mar 14 '14, 3:43 a.m.
Funny things:
As RQM provides this functionality easily via WebGUI since 4.0.5, RTC is missing this feature.

Seems so, as the GUI developers of the JAZZ team doesn't talk with each other. :-D

greetings georg.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.