It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to shutdown WAS for the CLM Jazz tools, when there are 2 instances of WAS running and Jazz server inaccessible ?

long TRUONG (3654121147) | asked Mar 03 '14, 8:12 a.m.
 After Red Hat patching and System maintenance, we cannot access the PRD Jazz server : "This webpage is not available", we found:

• Two instances of WAS running on the host in PRD

root      2766  2628  0 Mar01 ?        00:00:16 /opt/IBM/WebSphere/java/bin/java -Dosgi.install.area=/opt/IBM/WebSphere -Dosgi.configuration.area=/......

root      4160  2766  0 Mar01 ?        00:07:33 /opt/IBM/WebSphere/java/bin/java -Declipse.security -Dwas.status.socket=<#####> -Dosgi.install.area=/.......

where <#####> is actual number blanked out.

• The shutdown script would fail
  • A reboot failed, apparently because the shutdown script failed.
  • Note that WAS was not running on DEV server, which went through the same maintenance, and it was restarted OK.
What should we do to restore normalcy.
Is it safe to kill the top process then try the shutdown script ? or both processes ?

Comments
N Z commented Mar 03 '14, 4:08 p.m.

Sometimes you have to use kill -9, but only as a last resort. A couple of things you could try to minimise any potential problems before taking this step:

1. Try kill without the -9 first. May not work, but a less drastic step
2. Note the 2nd process is a child of the first. Try kill that one first, and then see if you can reboot. If not, kill the parent process. 

long TRUONG commented Mar 03 '14, 5:34 p.m.

Thanks NZ 

Well ! When I tried to get advise from a tool admin more familiar with the server, he just went ahead and kill the process without hesitation, so much for being careful!

The question now is how it happened that way, what can we do to prevent such happening (the duo of parent-child processes) again ?

Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk commented Mar 04 '14, 2:45 a.m.

Hi Long,
Did it happen first time? Or it is happening regularly? If it happens regularly, then I receommend you creating new PMR for CLM support.

long TRUONG commented Mar 04 '14, 7:34 a.m.

This is first time since I was brought in to admin the Jazz tools. 

Accepted answer

permanent link
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.5k479103) | answered Mar 03 '14, 8:17 a.m.
edited Mar 03 '14, 8:19 a.m.
Try
sudo kill -9 2766  

long TRUONG selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
long TRUONG commented Mar 03 '14, 8:51 a.m.

That was what I have been tempted to do since last night, but is it safe (I am not familiar with WAS  server side yet) ? Is it safer than a reboot of the host (maybe SysAdmin can force a successfull reboot) ?

long TRUONG commented Mar 03 '14, 8:52 a.m.

Thanks Krzysztof, BTW!

Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk commented Mar 03 '14, 8:56 a.m.

Hi Long,
I don't know any better option to stop your server if WAS console is not responding. Even if that might happen any issues, you do not have many more options here :/

long TRUONG commented Mar 03 '14, 9:02 a.m.

Thanks  Krzysztof. :) :(

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.