It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is there a recommended value for RRC query timeout depending on project area size?

Walter Cigana (1245) | asked Mar 02 '14, 11:50 a.m.
I am dealing with a project area in RRC that has roughly 30,000 artifacts.

When creating a view, I end up with a timeout and message "The list of artifact cannot be displayed. CRRW7611W The server was unable to generate the list of artifacts in a reasonable period of time"
The message also prompts me to make my view more specific.  I am looking artifacts in specific folders that have  links to specific artifact types that in turn have specific properties.  Pretty specific indeed.

However, if I make it less specific it works and pulls out about 2,000 artifacts.  Adding more filtering takes more time, which makes sense, but it also means that the default timeout is not good for us.

We had the default value of com.ibm.rdm.fronting.server.query.client.timeout changed from 10 seconds to 20 seconds.  Now, my view works sporadically, which leads me to believe that we're close to the optimal value.

My questions are thus: 
Is there a recommended value for the timeout depending on project area size, or other factors? 
What could be the impact of increasing this value on overall system performance?
Is there any type of filtering that might decrease the query run time (e.g. selecting the artifact type)?

Thanks,
Walter

Accepted answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k614) | answered Mar 02 '14, 7:37 p.m.
The short answer is no, there is no such recommended value.
When we are in the performance tuning area, we need to be aware that whatever the parameters that we change are specific to the environment in which we are working on, based on the performance data collected from the same environment. If anyone sets a recommended value, it may likely be misleading.
For a query, when you make it more specific, you may well add more filters and in fact make the query more complicated, hence the slower performance.
If a particular query cannot complete within a reasonable time period, you can open a support ticket to get it investigated. But before you do that, make sure the server is not overloaded, or underpowered, and ideally the latest version of RRC is being used (due to the fact that some performance improvement has been made into the recent releases).
Walter Cigana selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Walter Cigana commented Mar 02 '14, 8:50 p.m.

Thanks Donald, your answer pretty much confirms what my gut feeling was.

We are using RRC 4.0.5, but I didn't really try this on 4.0.4, so I cannot compare in terms of any improvements. 
Thanks again!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.