It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What is the intended function of the "Deploy Templates" button, when choosing process template for a new PA ?

long TRUONG (3654118146) | asked Feb 27 '14, 11:25 a.m.
 For the umpteenth times creating new PAs, I had never paid attention to the "Deploy Templates" button, going straight to Finish.

Deploy Templates Button

This time though, I clicked Deploy Templates, then Finish, thinking that I deployed the chosen template first before finalizing.

However, the wrong template got into the project: after I was done with "Deploy Templales", the highlight was reset to the top of the list, hence Finish initialized the PA with the top template, instead of the chosen one, no longer highlighted at that point.

I wonder:

• What is the intended use for "Deploy Templates" ?
  • Is it to deploy to the repository for manual initialization of the PA ?
  • If so Finish will not initialize from the same repository with the chosen template already deployed ?

One answer

permanent link
Piotr Aniola (3.7k11738) | answered Feb 27 '14, 11:41 a.m.
Deploy Templates is to create the OOTB templates that we ship with RTC: Scrum, Formal Process, Unconfigured Process.
You should do it only once when first creating a project. You can also do it later if you made changes to the OOTB templates and want to reset them. If you do not wish to use the OOTB templates, but only your own custom templates, you don't need to Deploy Templates at all.

Comments
long TRUONG commented Feb 27 '14, 12:29 p.m.

I don't quite follow your train of thoughts:  Deploy Templates For

• Creating OOTB templates from the repository some how?
  • Or to initialize the PA (should do it only once when first creating a project) with OOTB templates: But any template on the list is available for deploy !
My contention is: Should Finish (auto option)  just initialize the PA  from the repository, where the chosen template already been deployed (or just finalize the initialization) instead of picking up a template, being highlighted at that point in time.  

Piotr Aniola commented Feb 28 '14, 3:42 a.m. | edited Feb 28 '14, 3:44 a.m.

Deploy Templates For Creating OOTB templates from the repository some how? Yes.
This has nothing to do with PA initialization.

I don't quite understand the second concern. Auto-initialization of PA simply runs the initialization actions defined in the template, whether is it an OOTB template or a custom one. The template chosen for the PA is the one selected in the Available Process Template list.

That list is empty when you first install RTC (hence, it is not possible to create any project). You need to populate it by either uploading your own templates, or deploying the default ones using the Deploy Templates button.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.