It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

repository for random project documents

Mervyn Keene (171177) | asked Mar 19 '09, 7:07 p.m.
Let's say someone on my team contributes a nice class diagram in a picture format, or perhaps some UML or a Word document, etc. Is there a standard place where files of unspecified format can be dragged and dropped such that they'll be stored with the project, ideally with a stable URL so they can be linked to? Documents can easily be associated with work items but I don't see a way to associate them with higher-level concepts like components and project areas. On the other hand I'm a novice and might be missing something.

Thanks,
MK

5 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Mar 19 '09, 8:11 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Let's say someone on my team contributes a nice class diagram in a picture format, or perhaps some UML or a Word document, etc. Is there a standard place where files of unspecified format can be dragged and dropped such that they'll be stored with the project, ideally with a stable URL so they can be linked to? Documents can easily be associated with work items but I don't see a way to associate them with higher-level concepts like components and project areas. On the other hand I'm a novice and might be missing something.

Thanks,
MK

Create an Eclipse project using the File->New->Project. Import the file into an Eclipse project, then add the project to source control as per usual. That will also give you a unique URL, etc.

anthony

permanent link
Mervyn Keene (171177) | answered Mar 21 '09, 12:49 p.m.
You are of course correct that it's possible to import these files as regular resources. This provides the benefits of versioned, safe storage and a stable URL but it still seems like kind of a hack to me. Users would have to know to look in a particular place within a particular (pseudo) project to see high-level documentation. I'm surprised this kind of thing isn't directly supported by RTC.

Come to think of it it seems like something that belongs in a dashboard. I haven't done anything with dashboards yet - I guess I'll go look and see if there's any direct support there.

MK

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Mar 22 '09, 7:22 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
You are of course correct that it's possible to import these files as regular resources. This provides the benefits of versioned, safe storage and a stable URL but it still seems like kind of a hack to me. Users would have to know to look in a particular place within a particular (pseudo) project to see high-level documentation. I'm surprised this kind of thing isn't directly supported by RTC.

Come to think of it it seems like something that belongs in a dashboard. I haven't done anything with dashboards yet - I guess I'll go look and see if there's any direct support there.

MK

Ah - I didn't mention the project itself - I was thinking about versioning info. Each PLAN (I thought it was the project, but did not have RTC up in front of me) has a wiki-like page at the top level - you can put text there. This shows up in the dashboard too. You can add additional pages, but can't see a way to add a link to a file explicitly.

anthony

permanent link
Curtis d'Entremont (1.3k3) | answered Mar 24 '09, 2:54 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Mervyn,

RTC doesn't have a document management system (yet). The dashboard can provide you with a sort of living document that shows up-to-date info on certain things, but you can't store and organize your design docs there, you can just link to them somewhere else.

For Jazz development we have been using a combination of separate Wiki and Source Control for documents that don't fit into any existing system.

Thanks,
Curt

permanent link
Adrian Cho (82113322) | answered Mar 24 '09, 3:22 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
You may find this and this interesting.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.