It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to stop the disappearance of customized attributes from the form of a defect ?

long TRUONG (3654118146) | asked Feb 17 '14, 12:04 p.m.
 We have recently added 2 customized attributes, with dropdown list values populated from HTTP filtered Value set, to our customized WI type Defect.

They keep disappearing from the Defect form, seemingly in a random fashion, and to 1 single user in particular. We finally found the pattern:
  • If we open a defect newer than the addition of the field, including creating new defect, as the first WI opening after logging to the RTC, the two attributes always show up, even unassigned.
  • But if we open a defect in existence prior to the addition, as the first WI opening after login, only the attribubutes with assigned values for these two attributes would appear on the defect form,i.e. 1 of the two attribute shows up if only one assigned, and nothing if neither assigned a value.
  • Once into the issue, we will not see those two attributes anywhere.
  • Once that has happened, we have to log out (or close all instances of the browser) of the Jazz tools, and log in and try not commit the same mistake:
    •  By opening a newer one
    • Or create a new defect (then cancel). maybe this is the best workaround
Is this intentional for a reason ?
Is there a better  way to avoid this than the above steparound ?

Comments
long TRUONG commented Feb 17 '14, 3:09 p.m. | edited Feb 17 '14, 3:09 p.m.

Thanks Sam: Could you put that comment into an answer for me to pick as the right answer. I have tested that fix in DEV successfully, though had to go through some snags as the sync would not work on those with unset mandatory fields. 

sam detweiler commented Feb 17 '14, 3:27 p.m. | edited Feb 17 '14, 3:28 p.m.

yes, unset mandatory fields are a pain..

only way is to turn off the advisors during the sync operation.

we see the same with children, dependencies, etc.. where we have enforcement

rule: if u are fiddling with the workitem structure, fields, etc.. turn off all the advisors while you fix it.
it is best to edit the XML and comment them out, least u ill save the exact config.

Accepted answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Feb 17 '14, 1:21 p.m.
edited Feb 17 '14, 3:28 p.m.
existing workitems do not AUTOMATICALLY pick up configuration changes.

you must EXPLICITLY force a resynch..

in the Eclipse UI, run a query for the workitems u care about, the query output MUST have the ID column separately.   select all the rows in the query output, right click on the ID column, and select Synchronize Attributes.  

this will ripple configuration change to the selected workitems..

warning the query output in Eclipse is limited to 1000 workitems max, and there is no way to get to 1001 onward.. you would have to build another query somehow

this is standard function (sync)
long TRUONG selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Kevin Ramer commented Feb 17 '14, 4:04 p.m.

Usage Tip:  In the project configuration on a specific work item type, there will be a "Check attributes usage in repository" link which will check.  One can optionally view or synchronize the work items.  It doesn't seem to be limited by the query size maximum, but since 3.x (or early 4.), the Show/Synchronize doesn't behave properly.  ALL will be shown or synchronized.

sam detweiler commented Feb 17 '14, 5:01 p.m.

its been so long since I pushed that button.. I KNOW there are changes..

long TRUONG commented Feb 27 '14, 8:39 a.m.

Oops! Thought already marked this answer right ! 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.