It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

one team member gets permission error when locking in stream

jeff tickner (51710) | asked Oct 17 '13, 11:04 a.m.
edited Oct 10 '17, 1:51 p.m. by David Lafreniere (4.8k7)

I have a customer with a fairly simple setup, only 3 roles in the project area, default team, as we get started.

We are using RTC 4.0.2 and working on ibm i code.
There is a business requirement that members that are to be edited are locked by the individual developer in the test stream.
There is one developer that can not lock a member in the stream, he gets a permission error.
I verified he has the same role as other users that CAN lock a member in the same stream, same jazz permissions, same license etc.
He's pretty sure he was able to lock earlier in the week.
I've had him retry several times as we have some latency issues and I was thinking it might be a timeout problem being reported as a permission issue.
Any other ideas?

Thanks
Jeff tickner

Accepted answer

permanent link
Jared Burns (4.5k29) | answered Oct 17 '13, 2:48 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
The last time I saw a problem like this (3 years ago?), it turned out that the person seeing the inexplicable behavior was actually logged in as the wrong user.

They somehow had two different accounts in the system with the same name, but different user IDs. One of the accounts was granted all the permissions the person should have had, but they were actually logging in with the other account. I would double-check this.

If that's not the problem, then there must be something different in the role assignments of this user compared to their peers. A timeout problem would not be reported as a permission issue.
David Lafreniere selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
jeff tickner commented Oct 17 '13, 4:17 p.m.

I verified the user profile that the user had signed in with and the profiles permissions on the jazz server and the project area role.

However we had several users including this one that had multiple similar profiles on the jazz server and one would work normally and one would behave strangely, a case where the user profile was unique but the name and email was the same. The first profile created not following accepted naming convention so they created another one with the correct profile naming convention and all other attributes the same.
In each case I had to identify which profile was working (the one with the wrong name) and use that in the project area and archive the other one on the jazz server. 
Possibly this is still the issue with this user and I need to review.
Is there any acceptable way to change the user profile value?
This other problem was on a training server and now we are setting up the live server and an admin did the same thing, mixed case in a user profile when the naming convention is lower case.
Thanks for the help.
Jeff Tickner

Jared Burns commented Oct 17 '13, 4:27 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Sounds like exactly the sort of issue we saw before. To debug this, I suggest you change the name of the erroneous user accounts to something like "John Smith_DO_NOT_USE". Then review your project configuration (role assignments, team membership, etc.) to determine where the wrong account was used.

Once you've fixed things up to refer to the correct account everywhere, you can archive the bad one. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.