It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Managing Multiple Stream Isn't Obvious!

Chris Barlock (18814738) | asked Feb 13 '14, 9:06 p.m.
I replaced the content of my repository workspace which contained two components with a previous stream which only had one of the two.  When I completed the work there, I tried to go back...The component that was common to both streams (call it C1) reloaded fine, including the change set that I suspended before switching.  I found I had to go back to my repository workspace and add the other component (C2) back to the workspace.  It looks like I lost the change set in C2 because the C2 did not exist in the older stream.  :-(  

At this point, in my Pending Changes view, C2 has an outgoing baseline for a build that ran today.  Not what I want because it does not contain my changes.  Is my work just gone?  I poked through the component load options but don't want to try anything that might really destroy the work I did, if it still lives.  Where did I go wrong?  What can I do?

Chris

Comments
sam detweiler commented Feb 13 '14, 10:02 p.m.

you have two streams?  current and older.  I am guessing you didn't deliver your latest workspace changes to the current stream.

then  u reloaded your workspace from the older stream. (replace)..

did I get that right?

Chris Barlock commented Feb 14 '14, 9:39 a.m.

Yes, two streams.  I had a change set in each stream, which I suspended.  I did not deliver either change set from my repository workspace to its stream.  Then, yes, I reloaded my workspace from the older stream, did what I had to do and the reloaded my workspace from the newer stream.  As noted above, the suspended change set in the component that exists in both streams came back just fine.  

However, I had to go back to my repository workspace and add the component that only exists in the newer stream back to the component.  My next step would have been to "Replace With > Latest from <my stream>" in the Pending Changes view.  However, this gives me a dialog that says "Accepting incoming changes from a disconnected component will not load them into the sandbox.  Do you want to continue?"  I'm not sure what to do at this point. Load?

I'm not going to be too upset if I lose these changes; they were not extensive -- but if that happens, I would like to know how to avoid this in the future, if possible.  

Chris 

Chris Barlock commented Feb 14 '14, 11:50 a.m.

Since I needed to get on with my work, I loaded component C2, but the suspended change set was gone.  :-(  A short time later, I restarted RTC -- and the change set was there!  Very strange...

Chris

Chris Barlock commented Feb 14 '14, 7:21 p.m.

Good to know.  Thanks, Geoffrey!

Chris 

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Feb 14 '14, 6:48 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Do not be put off by the "will not load them into the sandbox" message ... that is just warning you that you don't have that workspace component loaded into a sandbox, but that has no negative effect on the replace operation.   If you want to see those changes in your sandbox, as you guessed, just use the "load" operation to load that component.

Also note that you will never lose a change set that you have created.  You can use the "Search -> Jazz Source Control -> Change Sets" operation to find them (narrow the search for change sets you've created, and give it a created-by date).

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.