It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC for PHP ?

Giorgio Leone (11) | asked Mar 13 '09, 7:31 a.m.
Can I use RTC to develop PHP application? What version of RTC I need to download?
Thx Giorgio

8 answers

permanent link
Bill Grant (16) | answered Mar 14 '09, 2:13 a.m.
Can I use RTC to develop PHP application? What version of RTC I need to download?
Thx Giorgio

Hi Gil - I did some initial testing of doing PHP development in the Eclipse version of RTC with some PHP plugins and it worked great. I don't know all of the things you would like to do so your mileage may vary (and you should still test it out).

Version shouldn't matter, I think when I did it it was actually pre-1.0.

Bill

permanent link
Jakub Jurkiewicz (59632) | answered Mar 16 '09, 9:31 a.m.
Thx Giorgio

You just need Eclipse with the PHP plugins you want to use. Later you should install RTC (doesn't matter which version) into the Eclipse (with PHP plugins).

kind regards,
Jakub

permanent link
Kevin Ford (4623) | answered Jul 01 '09, 2:40 p.m.
Thx Giorgio

You just need Eclipse with the PHP plugins you want to use. Later you should install RTC (doesn't matter which version) into the Eclipse (with PHP plugins).

kind regards,
Jakub

Jakub,

Are you sure about that? I have tried basically every version/combination of RTC 1.0.1.1 with Eclipse and couldn't get the PHP Development Tools (PDT) to work.

I tried
Install RTC 1.0.1.1 then try to add PDT plugins (failed)
Install PDT All-In-One with Eclipse 3.3, then RTC 1.0.1.1 (failed)
Install PDT All-In-One with Eclipse 3.4, then RTC 1.0.1.1 (failed)
Install PDT All-In-One with Eclipse 3.5, then RTC 1.0.1.1 (failed)

Always failed with dependency issue, or version tolerance issue. Can you give me some guidance if you have any?

permanent link
Andrew DeFaria (161151) | answered Jul 01 '09, 3:26 p.m.
I've only done this with RTC 2.0 but you need to install from the Update Site as describe here (for Ganymede - I don't think that RTC is up to 3.5).

If you attempt to install the All-In-One stuff then you are really installing a new Eclipse plus the PHP plugins and minus all of the RTC plugins...

permanent link
Kevin Ford (4623) | answered Jul 02 '09, 12:49 p.m.
Thx Giorgio

kind regards,
Jakub

If anybody has a cookbook for doing this it would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm now convinced I've tried everything short of modifying the manifests and package dependencies manually which I think is probably a bad idea.

I started with Eclipse Classic SDK (Ganymede, SR2 - 3.4.2)
I then installed PDT from download.eclipse.org/tools/pdt/updates/2.0/
and DLTK from download.eclipse.org/technology/dltk/updates-dev/1.0M4-PDT-2.0/

That all worked fine and I had a working Ganymede with PHP Development Tools.

I then try to install RTC 1.0.1.1 into that Eclipse and I get the following errors.

Offering cannot be installed into this existing Eclipse installation configuration because it would invalidate existing bundle constraints
Installing bundle "org.eclipse.emf.ecore.xmi_2.3.2.v200802051830" into this existing Eclipse installation does not meet the version tolerance of "[2.4.0,3.0.0)" for the existing bundle "org.eclipse.wst.common.emf"
Installing bundle "org.eclipse.emf.ecore_2.3.2.v200802051830" into this existing Eclipse installation does not meet the version tolerance of "[2.4.0,3.0.0)" for the existing bundle "org.eclipse.jem.util"
Installing bundle "org.eclipse.emf.edit_2.3.2.v200802051830" into this existing Eclipse installation does not meet the version tolerance of "[2.4.0,3.0.0)" for the existing bundle "org.eclipse.wst.common.emfworkbench.integration"
Installing bundle "org.eclipse.emf.ecore.xmi_2.3.2.v200802051830" into this existing Eclipse installation does not meet the version tolerance of "[2.4.0,3.0.0)" for the existing bundle "org.eclipse.wst.common.modulecore"
Installing bundle "org.eclipse.emf.ecore_2.3.2.v200802051830" into this existing Eclipse installation does not meet the version tolerance of "[2.4.0,3.0.0)" for the existing bundle "org.eclipse.wst.common.modulecore"
Installing bundle "org.eclipse.emf.ecore.xmi_2.3.2.v200802051830" into this existing Eclipse installation does not meet the version tolerance of "[2.4.0,3.0.0)" for the existing bundle "org.eclipse.wst.common.emfworkbench.integration"
Installing bundle "org.eclipse.emf.ecore.xmi_2.3.2.v200802051830" into this existing Eclipse installation does not meet the version tolerance of "[2.4.0,3.0.0)" for the existing bundle "org.eclipse.jem.util"
Installing bundle "org.eclipse.emf.ecore_2.3.2.v200802051830" into this existing Eclipse installation does not meet the version tolerance of "[2.4.0,3.0.0)" for the existing bundle "org.eclipse.wst.common.frameworks"
Installing bundle "org.eclipse.emf.edit_2.3.2.v200802051830" into this existing Eclipse installation does not meet the version tolerance of "[2.4.0,3.0.0)" for the existing bundle "org.eclipse.wst.common.modulecore"

The above is just ONE example. I've used PDT All-In-One at various versions, 3.3, 3.4, 3.5. All failed to allow RTC to install into them. I used RTC and attempted to install PDT into it and it failed as well.

RTC 2.0 is not yet an option for me as my servers are not going to be upgraded for some time.

I have run out of things to try. Any ideas out there?

Thanks,

Kevin

permanent link
Andrew DeFaria (161151) | answered Jul 02 '09, 2:49 p.m.
Instead of taking the tack of installing Eclipse (Ganymede), installing PHP plugins and then attempting to install RTC 1.0.1.1 as a plug in, why not install RTC 2.0, which has all of the RTC stuff included and then install PHP plugins? I believe (read view) RTC as being similar to the All in One installs of eclipse - it's eclipse plus plugins in a preconfigured arrangement. Looking at the work to install PHP plugins seems to be much less than the work in installing all of the required RTC plugins...

permanent link
Kevin Ford (4623) | answered Jul 02 '09, 3:22 p.m.
Instead of taking the tack of installing Eclipse (Ganymede), installing PHP plugins and then attempting to install RTC 1.0.1.1 as a plug in, why not install RTC 2.0, which has all of the RTC stuff included and then install PHP plugins? I believe (read view) RTC as being similar to the All in One installs of eclipse - it's eclipse plus plugins in a preconfigured arrangement. Looking at the work to install PHP plugins seems to be much less than the work in installing all of the required RTC plugins...

I attempted exactly that during my first pass, but I was using RTC 1.0.1.1. It failed due to dependency issues and inability to resolve package version tolerances.

I am not able to install RTC 2.0 because my server administrator has told me that the 2.0 client will be incompatible with the 1.0x server and they are not upgrading the servers for several months.

Any other thoughts?

permanent link
Kevin Ford (4623) | answered Jul 14 '09, 10:47 a.m.
The way I finally got it working, after trying EVERYTHING else, was to install Rational Team Concert 1.0.1.1, which is based on Eclipse Europa (3.3), and then install the PDT into it.

The trick was that you can't use the PDT version that Eclipse will automatically select for you (1.0.5), because it is incompatible with RTC's installed packages.

So when you try to install the PDT into RTC, you must at the first dialog, add and select the eclipse PDT update site, and check both the PDT update site AND the Europa Discovery Site, then click next...

After that, when you are selecting PDT on the next page, you will see PDT SDK 1.0.5. You should uncheck the box labeled Show the latest version of a feature only. When you do that, you will now see PDT SDK 1.0.5 and PDT SDK 1.0.3. PDT SDK 1.0.3 is the one you want, and the one that plays nicely with RTC 1.0.1.1.

At least that is how it worked for me after exhaustively trying to make it work the other way around (Eclipse first)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.