It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Adding multiple versions of java projects to source control

Thomas Neal (141133) | asked Sep 14 '09, 9:45 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Our development group has recently moved to using RTC as our source code repository. I have already added the "current" version of our java projects to RTC via Team->Share Project...->Jazz Source Control. I would like to also add the previous version of our java projects to make doing bugfixes of the previous release easier.

Can I use Team->Share Project on the java projects of the previous release like I did when adding/sharing the "current" release? I plan to create a new stream for the previous release, which uses the same components as the "current" release of our projects. Since many of the files in the previous and current release of our java projects are the same, I'm concerned that by sharing the projects again I'll "lose" these common files and create new files/elements.

Any guidance/thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

One answer

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Sep 14 '09, 1:41 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Our development group has recently moved to using RTC as our source code repository. I have already added the "current" version of our java projects to RTC via Team->Share Project...->Jazz Source Control. I would like to also add the previous version of our java projects to make doing bugfixes of the previous release easier.

Can I use Team->Share Project on the java projects of the previous release like I did when adding/sharing the "current" release? I plan to create a new stream for the previous release, which uses the same components as the "current" release of our projects. Since many of the files in the previous and current release of our java projects are the same, I'm concerned that by sharing the projects again I'll "lose" these common files and create new files/elements.

Any guidance/thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Share Projects is really a way to import one version of a project. Depending on your previous SCM system - you may be able to import your SCM history and retain your older versions.

Alternatively, your approach with doing a Share Project could work as long as you:

1) Create a new stream adding in the components from the "latest" project stream.
2) Load the new project into a new repo/local workspace
3) Disconnect the project so it is no longer under source control
4) Copy over the "old" version of the project into the same filespace on your local repo workspace
5) Share the old project and deliver to the stream.

Your history will be a bit odd - but should get you to where you need to be,

Ideally, if you had done this with the older version/s first, you could then have just overwritten the older files in your local workspace, and delivered as though you had altered the code.

There is probably a much better way of doing this - this is just an idea.

anthony

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.