It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Build failure

Mike Rolls (12631813) | asked Mar 12 '09, 10:01 a.m.
Every second build we run fails after 2-4 seconds with the following error:

2009-03-11 15:43:20
2009-03-11 15:43:20 Substituted the following configuration element property variables:
2009-03-11 15:43:20 com.ibm.team.build.cmdline : com.ibm.team.build.cmdline.arguments = "C:\cr002-build_workspace\CrownOfficeNetClerk\CrownOfficeNetClerk.proj" ${majorVersion} ${minorVersion} ${bugFix} ${buildLabel} ${buildTarget} --> com.ibm.team.build.cmdline.arguments = "C:\cr002-build_workspace\CrownOfficeNetClerk\CrownOfficeNetClerk.proj" 1 ${minorVersion} ${bugFix} ${buildLabel} ${buildTarget}
2009-03-11 15:43:20 com.ibm.team.build.cmdline : com.ibm.team.build.cmdline.arguments = "C:\cr002-build_workspace\CrownOfficeNetClerk\CrownOfficeNetClerk.proj" 1 ${minorVersion} ${bugFix} ${buildLabel} ${buildTarget} --> com.ibm.team.build.cmdline.arguments = "C:\cr002-build_workspace\CrownOfficeNetClerk\CrownOfficeNetClerk.proj" 1 0 ${bugFix} ${buildLabel} ${buildTarget}
2009-03-11 15:43:20 com.ibm.team.build.cmdline : com.ibm.team.build.cmdline.arguments = "C:\cr002-build_workspace\CrownOfficeNetClerk\CrownOfficeNetClerk.proj" 1 0 ${bugFix} ${buildLabel} ${buildTarget} --> com.ibm.team.build.cmdline.arguments = "C:\cr002-build_workspace\CrownOfficeNetClerk\CrownOfficeNetClerk.proj" 1 0 0 ${buildLabel} ${buildTarget}
2009-03-11 15:43:20 com.ibm.team.build.cmdline : com.ibm.team.build.cmdline.arguments = "C:\cr002-build_workspace\CrownOfficeNetClerk\CrownOfficeNetClerk.proj" 1 0 0 ${buildLabel} ${buildTarget} --> com.ibm.team.build.cmdline.arguments = "C:\cr002-build_workspace\CrownOfficeNetClerk\CrownOfficeNetClerk.proj" 1 0 0 ${buildLabel} Build-Test
2009-03-11 15:43:20 com.ibm.team.build.cmdline : com.ibm.team.build.cmdline.arguments = "C:\cr002-build_workspace\CrownOfficeNetClerk\CrownOfficeNetClerk.proj" 1 0 0 ${buildLabel} Build-Test --> com.ibm.team.build.cmdline.arguments = "C:\cr002-build_workspace\CrownOfficeNetClerk\CrownOfficeNetClerk.proj" 1 0 0 20090311-1543 Build-Test
2009-03-11 15:43:20
2009-03-11 15:43:20 Should build occur?
Checking for changes incoming to workspace "CR002 - Disclosure Scotland Build Workspace" ... found changes (2)
2009-03-11 15:43:20 Yes: Pre-build participant "com.ibm.team.build.jazzscm" would like to build.
2009-03-11 15:43:21 Invoking pre-build participant "com.ibm.team.build.jazzscm"
Accepting changes into workspace "CR002 - Disclosure Scotland Build Workspace" ...
Deleting fetch destination "C:\cr002-build_workspace" before fetching ...
com.ibm.team.build.common.TeamBuildException: CRRTC3505E: Unable to delete fetch destination "C:\cr002-build_workspace".
at com.ibm.team.build.internal.engine.JazzScmPreBuildParticipant.preBuild(JazzScmPreBuildParticipant.java:138)
at com.ibm.team.build.internal.engine.BuildLoop.invokePreBuildParticipants(BuildLoop.java:574)
at com.ibm.team.build.internal.engine.BuildLoop$2.run(BuildLoop.java:430)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

As information, we've checked and we dont have another process active in the directory that the build is trying to delete. We're using the Jazz command line build utility to poke an msbuild script but this problem has not always been present. We arent sure what has changed to make this failure occur.

5 answers

permanent link
Marcel Kinard (71107) | answered Jan 13 '10, 10:03 p.m.
I just encountered this problem and found your forum post.

I logged on to our build server to see what content was left and noticed a pattern. Only a few directories were left, most everything in the fetch destination had been deleted. The things that were left were fragments of the directory structure where the leaf nodes contained a directory with a leading dot. In our case, a directory named ".libs". The ".libs" directory had content in it, and I can only suspect that an attempt to rmdir the parent directory from would fail because the parent directory still has a member named ".libs".

So I suspect that the "clean fetch destination" has a shortcoming in that it isn't removing directories that begin with a leading dot, other than "." and "..". Until someone provides a fix for this, I think I will modify my ant build script to erase all these directories after publishing the build artifacts.

Any product people, I would propose this is behavior a bug.

permanent link
David Lafreniere (4.8k7) | answered Feb 01 '11, 4:26 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
So I suspect that the "clean fetch destination" has a shortcoming in that it isn't removing directories that begin with a leading dot, other than "." and "..". Until someone provides a fix for this, I think I will modify my ant build script to erase all these directories after publishing the build artifacts

Unfortunately I have yet to see this behavior in my testing, nor do I know why this is happening. I can confirm however that in RTC 3.0, when checking the "Delete directory before loading" checkbox in the "Jazz Source Control" tab, this does delete all files/folders in the load directory (even if they have a "." in front)

permanent link
David Lafreniere (4.8k7) | answered Feb 01 '11, 4:55 p.m.
Is there any chance that you are using symbolic links for any of your fetched files? I think there might be issues trying to delete symbolic links.

Comments
Binoy D'costa commented Dec 29 '14, 12:15 p.m.

Hi David,

If the symlinks are suspect, then why it is sporadic in nature? We are facing similar issue. Not sure if the suspect is the symlinks or directories with "." in front of it.

Why would it fail occasionally while succeed at other times?

Thanks,
Binoy

permanent link
David Lafreniere (4.8k7) | answered Feb 01 '11, 5:14 p.m.
Can you guys also indicate which OS you are running and which version of JBE? (or anything else specifically about your system/setup that might help)

permanent link
Karthik Krishnan (8825118163) | answered Apr 30 '13, 7:15 a.m.
edited May 02 '13, 5:15 a.m.
We are facing the same issue.. randomly. This occurs on Win 2008 R2 as well as Windows 7 Prof x64

Are there any fix for this?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.