It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Find all descendants of a work item

Mark Miller (41118) | asked Aug 10 '09, 2:53 p.m.
Is there a way to write a query to find all of the descendant work items for a single work item? I do not see a way to find the grandchildren much less arbitrarily deep trees.

13 answers

permanent link
Brian Wolfe (25613625) | answered Aug 10 '09, 5:25 p.m.
I wrote custom sql to do it directly against the database because I could not find a way to do it in the product

permanent link
Patrick Streule (4.9k21) | answered Aug 11 '09, 1:42 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Is there a way to write a query to find all of the descendant work
items for a single work item? I do not see a way to find the
grandchildren much less arbitrarily deep trees.

There is no UI for this functionality, but if we are talking about a
programmatic solution, you can use

IWorkItemReferences resolveWorkItemReferences(IWorkItemHandle workItem,
IProgressMonitor monitor) throws TeamRepositoryException;

in IWorkItemCommon to get at the work item's children.
You would then iterate over the children, get their children and so on.

--
Regards,
Patrick
Jazz Work Item Team

permanent link
James Leone (13613513) | answered Aug 13 '09, 4:11 p.m.

Do you thing such a UI would be a valuable enhancement?

Sometimes our enhancement work items get broken down into deep trees as they get distributed to different people across different teams. If something changes in the requirement that parent work item is capturing, it would be great to have such information for mass notification down the work chain.

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Aug 13 '09, 9:17 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I think it could be possible to develop a BIRT report that builds the dependency tree. Can you please create an Enhancement request and we will look if this is feasible. Please assign it to the Reports team. I am 70 % sure this can be done with a BIRT report. The advantage of using the BIRT report is that no new code would need to be written. This will be a report template that you can deploy to any 2.0 RTC Server and voila you will have your dependency tree.

permanent link
Jean-Michel Lemieux (2.5k11) | answered Aug 13 '09, 10:02 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
This is the basis of what we call "feature" based development. Not only
would you want to have notifications, but it would be great to be able
to see code churn, activity aggregated for all the work linked from the
top level feature.

Definitely something that I'd like to see us implement... stay tuned.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel

On 8/13/2009 4:23 PM, jleone wrote:

Do you thing such a UI would be a valuable enhancement?

Sometimes our enhancement work items get broken down into deep trees
as they get distributed to different people across different teams.
If something changes in the requirement that parent work item is
capturing, it would be great to have such information for mass
notification down the work chain.

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Aug 15 '09, 10:28 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I deployed a report template that can find all dependants of a work item.
The report can even cross project areas and allows to select one or many relationship kinds and the depth of the search.

Please check it out and tell us if this satisfies your requirements:

https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.reports.viewQuery&queryUUID=_wS6G4ImjEd6HzLSYRe2U4w&name=Work%20Item%20Closure

The report is still rough on the visual side.

You can download the report template from: https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/viewfile/Main/ReportsCentral?rev=1;filename=Work_Item_Closure.rptdesign

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Aug 15 '09, 10:51 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I deployed a report template that can find all dependants of a work item.
The report can even cross project areas and allows to select one or many relationship kinds and the depth of the search.

Please check it out and tell us if this satisfies your requirements:

https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.reports.viewQuery&queryUUID=_wS6G4ImjEd6HzLSYRe2U4w&name=Work%20Item%20Closure

The report is still rough on the visual side.

You can download the report template from: https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/viewfile/Main/ReportsCentral?rev=1;filename=Work_Item_Closure.rptdesign

Currently the result displays a table of Work Item Ids and their summary. But the report can be easily enhanced to display things like:
The owner of the work item, the state, last modification time...

The reporting component of RTC allows deploying report templates that can run javascript on the server. So really what this can do is almost limitless.

Rafik Jaouani
RTC Developer (Reports Component)

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Aug 25 '09, 1:55 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Upated the report template to be more visually pleasing. The list of descendant work items now also displays the last modification date.

or look at the report in jazz.net:

Some feedback from the originator of this post would be really helpful.

Rafik Jaouani

permanent link
James Leone (13613513) | answered Aug 31 '09, 1:30 p.m.
Rafik,

What you have put together is great work. I am personally still wrapping my head around the capabilities of RTC. Ultimately, we want to see the hierarchy of children work items displayed in some sort of tree structure (think of a family tree).

Can one control the graphical layout of reports like this?

Is it possible for an end user to make this report more readily accessible from the work item view? For example, there is a Links tab for each workitem and when you go there you see Attachements and Links. Could we embed this report in that tab, alter the content of the "Links" section directly, or create a separate tab that ran this report?

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Aug 31 '09, 4:00 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
BIRT reports can present information in whatever form can be represented using HTML and Javascript. Displaying a graphical tree would probably require some fancy diagramming technology and would probably require a lot of work.

How about a very simple outline layout like:

W1
W2
W3
W4
W5
W6
W7
W8

The above makes sense only for child work items. So a new report that only traverses children would be required.

For easy navigation to the report, you could embed a similar URL to this at the bottom of the description field of the work item:

https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational Team Concert#action=com.ibm.team.reports.viewReport&reportUUID=report.WorkItemClosure&parameterName=Work Item&parameterValue=89302&parameterName=Relations&parameterValue='1 parent','2 child','3 blocks','4 blocked','5 duplicate','6 related'

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.