It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Version control of software and defect tracking

Robert Hoffman (133) | asked Jan 15 '14, 4:30 p.m.
I currently work on a project that tests software releases. The releases are one operating system and have multiple programs (software) installed with specific versions. How would I be able to account for the multiple programs and the versions associated with the programs within either QM or CCM. The purpose of the specific program and version tracking is due to the project wanting the ability to track test failures (defects) from one build (linked to the software specific version) to another and be able to show when defects have remained open through multiple test iterations per piece of software. The closest thing I have seen in my research is the Stream/Components relationship. The Stream would be the Release (I know there is already a release field in JAZZ) and the components would be considered the programs and versions. I cannot reference the specific Stream/Components in Defect creation and so I believe the tool has another way to account for this task. If needed I can add the Components field to the Defect template but I don't want to force something that I assume JAZZ already accounted for.

Robert

2 answers

permanent link
Henning Sternkicker (40626) | answered Jan 16 '14, 5:15 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I think you have to add to your concept of streams and components and how to use them also the Jazz concepts of snapshots and baselines and the way Jazz builds use them. A baseline is a specific version of all the artifacts in a component, i.e. with that you are able to select a complete configuration of that component. A snapshot is a set of baselines for a complete stream (or workspace) that you have worked on. So a component is a good reference for a milestone of a project, as it labels the configuration of the project at a given time. If you use the Jazz build engine and build definition, each time you do a build such a snapshot is created automatically for you, so that you have a snapshot of the exact configuration used for the build. The good thing is that from the build result you can select the snapshot and create a Release out of it. This will automatically adds a Release "tag" in the RTC project area and links it to the build snapshot. With this the testers are able to select a Release they have been given, select it from a drop down in the "Found in" field when they want to submit a defect. But when a developer now clicks on this release entry in the defect he/she will be automatically transition to the build result with the snapshot and with all the options to recreate a workspace from that configuration of source code.
Is that what you were looking for?

permanent link
Eric Jodet (6.3k5111120) | answered Jan 16 '14, 5:16 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Hello Robert,
as per - I cannot reference the specific Stream/Components - 
yes you can:

Is this what you're looking for?

Thanks
Eric

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.