It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Does anyone know why the list of Planned For values won't populate on Linux based Eclipse?

Jamie Berry (14013693) | asked Jan 15 '14, 12:00 p.m.
We have a project that is running RTC inside a 4.3.1 (Kepler) version of Eclipse on a Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server (Kernel Linux 2.6.32*).  When users attempt to update a work item from this Eclipse, the Planned For field drop-down displays 'Retreiving...' and never populates with any values.  All other drop-down lists populate fine (Filed Against, Priority, Severity, other enumerations).  Has anyone seen this and/or know what might be going on?

Thanks,

Jamie.

Comments
Kot T. commented Jan 15 '14, 4:23 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Jamie,

Does this happen on some or all projects? How many iterations are there in the project? Do you see the same behavior in WebUI?

In Eclipse's .log, do you see any error?

Jamie Berry commented Jan 15 '14, 4:37 p.m.

I have only heard of this one project running into this problem.  The issue does not occur on a Windows version of the Eclipse IDE nor on the Web UI.  Also, the planned for value can be changed in the Query Results, just not in the Work Item Editor view.
I checked the log and saw the following:

!ENTRY com.ibm.team.jface 4 0 2014-01-15 14:32:36.042
!MESSAGE Exception running 'Update Attribute 'target''
!STACK 0
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Comparison method violates its general contract!
    at java.util.TimSort.mergeLo(TimSort.java:747)
    at java.util.TimSort.mergeAt(TimSort.java:483)
    at java.util.TimSort.mergeCollapse(TimSort.java:410)
    at java.util.TimSort.sort(TimSort.java:214)
    at java.util.TimSort.sort(TimSort.java:173)
    at java.util.Arrays.sort(Arrays.java:659)
    at java.util.Collections.sort(Collections.java:217)
 ...  (Ran out of characters in post for full trace)

Accepted answer

permanent link
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k375103) | answered Jan 17 '14, 3:09 a.m.
Jamie,
I think that you have encountered this defect: https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=263488 It has been already fixed in RTC 4.0.5.

My additional few thoughts:
  1. Eclipse 4.3.1 is not officially supported yet: https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/CLMSystemRequirements405406#B4_Eclipse_IDE_RTC_Eclipse_Clien - I know that maybye  you simply must use it but I wanted only to warn you that it has not been effectively tested yet. There is a plan to support it in 4.0.6: https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=270785
  2. You mentioned that your program requires Java 7. Eclipse is Java application. What I wanted you is just to start Eclipse using Java 6 but it is not a problem to develop your applications using Java 7. You are using your Java for developing applications in Eclipse properties. Or did I miss something?
Please let us know if my answer helps.
Jamie Berry selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Jamie Berry commented Jan 17 '14, 10:55 a.m.

Thank you for the additional information.  I agree that the defect you linked to does sound like our problem.  I will pass that information on to the team.  The team realizes they are using an unsupported configuration and I have been told that they have to use Java 7 due to other extensions they are using.  I don't know the details, just going off what they have told me.  We have a work around for now that should get them through until we can upgrade to RTC 4.0.5 or later.  The work around involves updating the planned for values in the query results table (it works there).

Thanks again,
Jamie.

One other answer

permanent link
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k375103) | answered Jan 16 '14, 3:36 a.m.
Hi Jamie,
According to your comment, it seems that you are running your RTC client on Java 7.
What is your RTC version your are running?
Please try add following entry to eclipse.ini:

-vm
/opt/sun-jdk-1.6.0.02/bin/java

Please set the path to any Java 6 version. You will find more info here: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse.ini#-vm_value:_Linux_Example
Let us know if it helps.

Comments
Jamie Berry commented Jan 16 '14, 10:05 a.m.

My users are using Java 7 (requirement of their program) in their Eclipse with RTC version 4.0.2.  I don't have a Java 6 JRE/JDK on the linux box but I was able to verify that the problem happens on my Windows machine if I use a Java 7 VM instead of Java 6.  Do you know when Java 7 will be supported?

Thanks,
Jamie.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.