It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Email Contributer to a Work Item.

Jason Hamilton (35168) | asked Jan 06 '14, 2:37 p.m.
edited Jan 06 '14, 2:59 p.m.
Background:  I have created a custom attribute to a work item called "Product Owner(s)"  I also associated this to the "Contributor List" so the field can be populated with one or many Project Members.  Attached is a screenshot of the custom attribute.

Questio
n: Would it be possible to automatically send an email to those I select as a "Product Owner(s)" informing them of this action?   The action I would like to perform is the same action as if I were to assign someone as an owner to the Work Item.

All information is greatly appreciated.

Comments
Susan Hanson commented Jan 06 '14, 8:55 p.m.

We've had similar requests and actually have done something similar to you.   In our case, a specific custom work item not only has an owner, but also (for simplicity) an architect.  The owner gets the updates but the architect (by default) does not.  Our plan is to write a PreconditionFollowup that would add the architect as a subscriber, and therefore, assuming they haven't configured NOT to get an email as a subscriber, they will also get emails.

We are looking at if we can unsubscribe them on the change as well. So if they were the architect previously and this save is the one that is changing to a different architect, then we would remove them as a subscriber.

Susan

Accepted answer

permanent link
Lauren Hayward Schaefer (3.3k11727) | answered Jan 06 '14, 3:56 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Jason,

My hunch is that it's not possible to do this out of the box.  Users can configure the e-mail notifications they receive by editing their profiles; they can choose whether or not they want e-mail notifications if they are the owner of a work item.

The easiest workaround would be to manually add users to the subscribers list when you assign them as the Product Owner.  You might be able to write a follow up action that would do this for you automatically on Work Item Save.  https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/CustomPreconditionFollowup has information on writing follow up actions.

You might also be able to write a follow up action that sends users e-mails.  https://jazz.net/forum/questions/131741/rtc-plugin-for-sending-notification-email has information on e-mail notifications.
Jason Hamilton selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Jason Hamilton commented Jan 06 '14, 4:03 p.m. | edited Jan 07 '14, 7:17 a.m.

Lauren,

Thanks for the information.  I will give the links you provided a look.  I have a tough customer so I don't think he will accept the easiest workaround.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.