It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Redelivering a reversed Change Set

Gabriel Ben-harosh Hasson (656) | asked Jul 28 '14, 4:03 a.m.
I remove a change from a stream by using "Reverse" on its change set and creating a "Patch". This operation have created a new change set without the original change and then I delivered the new change set to the team stream.

Let's say that after a few days I regret the patch and want the original change back again, how do I redeliver the original change set?

Thank you,

Tim Mok commented Jul 28 '14, 9:32 a.m.

You can't "redeliver" the change set because it still exists in the stream. What your reversal did is create another change set that undoes the changes.

Gabriel Ben-harosh Hasson commented Jul 29 '14, 3:28 a.m.

Hi Tim,

Yes I know that, but what if I do need the original change back? Is there a way to merge  it back?


One answer

permanent link
Shuchita Tripathi (31436193) | answered Jul 28 '14, 5:04 a.m.
 Hi Gabriel,

One simple method which I tried:
When you delivered the patch to the team stream, suppose you named the change set containing it as 'Test'.
Go to history and reverse the change set 'Test'. It will again create a patch and when you deliver it, you'll get the original change back.

Tim Mok commented Jul 28 '14, 9:34 a.m.

This is your easiest option. You can also discard the reversal from your workspace and replace in stream with the contents of your workspace. Either way results in the changes you want. Shuchita's answer will give you a change history that shows the reversal and the reversal of the reversal. My suggestion would mean the reversal never happened.

Gabriel Ben-harosh Hasson commented Jul 29 '14, 4:00 a.m.

Tim, What if the reverse change set is already a base for new change sets? 

Tim Mok commented Jul 29 '14, 7:50 a.m.

If that's the case then you have to perform a reversal of the reversal as Shuchita suggested. Those change sets already rely on the reversal change set so removing them would mean recreating them. It's often easier to deliver a reversal unless you're required to remove the change completely as if it was never delivered.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.