It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What's the purpose of the "Process Description" in RRC?

Taly Hotimsky (2714557) | asked Dec 18 '13, 9:38 p.m.
I don't understand how the Process Description created in RRC management affects the requirement activities performed in RRC. Can someone clarify?
Is it just informational (ie. the team should consult the process description and that's it) or does it somehow define a workflow in the tool?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Dec 19 '13, 12:12 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Dec 19 '13, 12:13 p.m.

Hi Taly,

I hope this makes it a little clearer. In an RM Project Area there are the following sections: Overview, Timeline, Roles, Permissions, Iteration Types, Access Control, Process Description and History.

An RM project only uses the role and permissions sections of the project area. It does not use the process description for team guidance and workflow of the team as they work.

Now a process description typically describes the user roles and the tasks each role performs; work artifacts that the team creates; work item types and their work flows; and the set of practices that the team follows. It is possible to define a requirements management process that analysts follow using Work Items, in RTC, for the artifacts they create in the RM project. So define the workflow in RTC but put the resultant artifacts in RRC. This is a major reason an RRC Analyst License allows RRC authors to create and work with  work items in RTC.

Additionally in RTC you can import RMC process templates. So if there was a defined RMC RM process, which included a set of tasks, they could be imported and used as template for a set of work items in RTC that drives the work of the business analysts.

This help topic might provide some additional information:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m4/index.jsp?re=1&topic=/com.ibm.jazz.platform.doc/topics/c_manage_process_practice.html

Taly Hotimsky selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Dec 19 '13, 11:02 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Dec 19 '13, 11:03 a.m.
In RRC, unlike RTC and RQM the process description is only used for
  • Roles available for a team
  • Team and role-specific permissions 

In the RM Backlog there is plan item for common workflow that works across CLM and supports sets of requirements

https://jazz.net/jazz03/web/projects/Requirements%20Management#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=60186

Comments
Taly Hotimsky commented Dec 19 '13, 11:29 a.m.

Hi Robin.

Thank you, but maybe my question wasn't clear or maybe I misunderstood your answer.

I was asking specifically about the "Process Description" section in the PA management. On that specific section I don't see how we can define roles and permissions (my understanding is that's on other sections of PA management).

Specifically on the "Process Description" section I see we can define somewhat of a process (as we would on RMC) but don't see how it relates to the actual usage of the tool (for all 3 tools, really). 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.