It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to move a file from outgoing changeset back to unresolved?

Ming Zhe Huang (311) | asked Dec 11 '13, 9:09 a.m.
retagged Dec 12 '13, 11:34 a.m. by David Lafreniere (4.8k7)
Hi guys,

I've searched around but haven't found a useful answer yet... I've mistakenly added a modified file into a changeset. It's a meta file which I don't want to check in, nor do I want to simply ignore it. So how can I just move it back to unresolved meanwhile keep the modification to that file in workspace?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431) | answered Dec 11 '13, 6:08 p.m.
I was hoping to find something cool for your, like just drag it back to Unresolved -- but no such luck. Associating the file with a change set checks it in, so your server-side workspace now has the updated copy. That check-in needs to be undone.

The easiest way I found was to use the context menu to Move the file to a new changeset (this gets it out of the one you mistakenly added it to). Open the file in the editor and copy the contents (this may not be necessary, depending on previous file history). Discard the new change set. The opened file may revert an earlier state. Replace the contents that you just copied out. Save the file -- it will reappear in Unresolved.
Ming Zhe Huang selected this answer as the correct answer

Ming Zhe Huang commented Dec 12 '13, 7:47 a.m.

Thank you very much. At least we have a solution. Hope RTC can support that feature in the future. 

Scott Cowan commented Dec 12 '13, 10:27 a.m.

You can also use the "Undo" action on the file change to remove it from the change set and revert it to an earlier state.  This will save you creating a new change set just to discard it.

Millard Ellingsworth commented Dec 12 '13, 11:05 a.m.

Thanks, Scott, that would be simpler: copy file contents, undo to move out the the accidental change set, open file, paste in contents to restore it. I got too wrapped up in the change set manipulation to step back and see that. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.