It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Sharing code with IT operations through RTC

usman syed ali (15510) | asked Nov 07 '16, 8:58 a.m.
edited Nov 07 '16, 2:29 p.m. by David Lafreniere (4.8k7)
Hi,

We are using RTC 4.0.1 for scm related activities. We have the following implementation model:

1. We have one project area for all the business applications.
2. For every business application we have a team area, a development stream and a production stream.
3. Team lead deliver their final changes to the development stream.
4. Changes never flow from Dev to Prod stream. Prod streams are  basically empty.

During the release cycle, instead of using RTC, the developer share their final code through shared folders with the change control /production team. The cc/prod team is tasked to deploy those changes in the test and production environment.

The audit has asked us that all the code sharing should be done through RTC. I would like to know what is the best model to achieve this scenario. I have the following in mind:

1. Install RTC client on cc/production team members.
2. Give them read access to production streams and create their repository work space. 
3. Enforce team lead to flow the final changes from dev stream to prod stream.
4. Whenever there are incoming changes in prod stream, cc/prod team will accept to deploy the latest release.

Please suggest what is the best practice to implement the above scenario.

Thank You.

Regards,
Usman

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Nov 08 '16, 12:48 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
First, I completely agree with your auditor that all code sharing should be under SCM control (and not via shared folders).

Your model described above sounds fine to me.   If you decide that you need to "hot-fix" the production stream (rather than have all changes flow through the development streams), then you would want to extend that model to support this.

Cheers,
Geoff

Comments
usman syed ali commented Nov 09 '16, 3:00 a.m.

Thanks Geoff. I had couple of things to ask also:

1. CC/Prod team had already been using RTC web client. It might be a good idea if they can get the required artifacts to deploy via web client. (This way we can avoid installations plus the learning curve they had to go through to understand thick client)

2. Is there a way they can load via web client all the required artifacts in one go? (currently I see individual files can be downloaded not the whole folder structure)

Thank You.

Regards,
Usman

Geoffrey Clemm commented Nov 09 '16, 6:48 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

The web client is just for modifying a few files at a time.   If they have access to a Windows machine, the Windows Explorer client is probably the simplest interface.   Otherwise, for manipulating more than a few files, they'll want to use the Eclipse, VisualStudio, or command line clients.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.