It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Importing Remedy Data into Rational Insight?

Jill Davies (241417) | asked Nov 29 '13, 8:40 a.m.

Hi,

I'm interested in whether it is possible to import data from Remedy into Rational Insight.

Has anyone does this?  Please can you give me some pointers?

Thanks,

Jill

Comments
sam detweiler commented Nov 29 '13, 9:00 a.m. | edited Nov 29 '13, 9:02 a.m.

what do you mean by import? store in Insight database?

yes, that is what Insight supports, outside data, where RRDI does not.

you would have to use the Cognos data mgmt tools to build another database, and then your favorite ETL tool to get the data out of Remedy and into the new tables.

you 'may' be able to access in place, depending on the location of the database under Remedy.

here is a presentation on the Cognos Framework Manager

Jill Davies commented Nov 29 '13, 9:11 a.m.

Hi,
Yes I do mean store Remedy data in the Insight database.
Please could you be a little more specific on what you mean by using "my favourite ETL tool" to get the data out of Remedy?
I have previously used the OOTB ETL jobs to get data from the CLM applications, extracted data from ClearQuest, Lotus Notes (using NotesSQL) and from Excel, but I don't particularly have a "favourite" tool ;-)

Thanks,
Jill

sam detweiler commented Nov 29 '13, 9:15 a.m.

some shops like particular tools. We used stuff built on top of Pentho, our IT department used Informatica.

I was just saying, its database to database,  so use whatever u are comfortable with. no one particular tool is required.

we had Insight setup on top of both DB2 and MS SQL Server.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Francesco Chiossi (5.7k11119) | answered Nov 29 '13, 9:55 a.m.
edited Nov 29 '13, 9:56 a.m.
Hello Jill,

Insight doesn't support the integration with Remedy, meaning there is no out of the box ETL job that will load the Remedy data in the data warehouse.

Insight however allows customization of the Data Warehouse and Framework Manager Model, since it provides the necessary Cognos tools.
This mean that if Remedy provides its data over REST API or direct DB connection you can create your own ETL process (with Data Manager or another tool) that will load the Remedy data in the data warehouse and modify your Framework Manager Model to include this data in the reports.
This is not a trivial task and requires some advanced Cognos skills to create and maintain.

Best Regards
Francesco
Jill Davies selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Jill Davies commented Nov 29 '13, 10:37 a.m.

thanks Francesco

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.