It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Graph for visualization of story dependencies

Amir Ghaemian (4811315) | asked Dec 21 '12, 2:29 a.m.
Hi, I'm looking into a good solution to visualize story dependencies graphically either in native RTC or with the use of Insight. What I initially was thinking about was using a graph called "directed graph" (example of the graph http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directed_graph)

I've noticed 2 issues:

1. This type of graph doesn't exist in Report Author tool of Insight.
2. It seems as the dependency relation of workitems are not collected into the data warehouse using the ootb RTC ETL's

Anyone that have done similar thing or any hints on how to accomplish this? If there is another way to do this for example with BIRT I'm happy to hear about that as well?

Regards
Amir

Comments
Arne Bister commented Dec 21 '12, 2:59 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi,

there is a lifecycle link explorer on RRC which seems to fit the general bill of your proposal. I have subscribed to enhancement 232227 to make this link explorer available in RTC for plan items as well.

- Arne

Amir Ghaemian commented Dec 21 '12, 11:01 a.m.

Ye, something similar to that functionality in RRC would have been good. I'll will subscribe to that enhancement as well.

Meanwhile any other hints on how this could be achieved would be much appriciated?

Millard Ellingsworth commented Jan 03 '13, 9:28 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Do you mean dependencies between User Stories? It's often best when Stories are written so that they are independent, re: http://xp123.com/articles/invest-in-good-stories-and-smart-tasks/ If the stories are too large, they are often grouped under a single Epic that represents the relationship. If you are using Scrum and need a tool to track dependencies between User Stories, you may not be using stories as intended.

Amir Ghaemian commented Jan 04 '13, 9:33 a.m. | edited Jan 04 '13, 9:34 a.m.

I agree that you probably can minimize your story dependencies  by having good story composition. But in my case where you have pretty complex projects spanning over multiple teams working on different components, or for example if you have very large features and you do breakdown into deployable story parts there could be dependencies.

In this sort of cases when doing sprint planning and prioritization of your stories it would be really good to be able to have a visual overview of the dependencies to be more easily able to know what stories to bring in and how to prioritize for coming sprints for example.  

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.