It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is Rational working on implementing feature related to Earned Value Management in RTC template?

Maria Victoria Martinez Torino (14924559) | asked Nov 01 '13, 11:15 a.m.
I would really appreciate your help on the topic below, if possible for you.
I received the following request from the customer and need to know if this is possible:

Environment: RTC 4.0.2

1) Implement the following Manually entered and Calculated fields
:
1.1 Manually Entered -
a. % Complete - this represents the physical completed work in % at phase level which should roll up to Project Level
b. Planned Value - this represents the planned effort for the week. PM will enter this at the beginning of the week. This can also be calculated and should roll up to Project Level
c. Earned Value - this can be entered or calculated based on the % complete and the actuals vs estimated efforts.
1.2 Calculated Fields - based on the above 3 fields and other parameters at the Phase level following fields should be automatically calculated and populated on the dashboard -
a. ETC - Estimate To completion
b. EAC - Estimate at completion
c. SPI - Scheduled Performance Index
d. CPI - Cost Performance Index
e. SV - Schedule Variance
f. CV - Cost Variance

2) Dashboards:
   2.1) Implement a Dashboard that shows the Earned Value tracking parameters for each Project at Phase level and Project Level.
        2.1.1) The dashboard should have Widgets which can be used by the managers on daily, weekly or monthly basis to track the EVM performance of the project or the SDLC phases inside a project.
        2.1.2) An additional widget should provides Project Level and Phase level graphs of following type -
a. PlanValue and Actual Cost comparison over x-axis weeks and y-axis effort
b. PlanValue and EarnedValue comparison over x-axis weeks and y-axis effort
c. EarnedValue and Actual Cost comparison over x-axis weeks and y-axis effort
d. IMPORTANT: Comparison of Earned Value of all projects in a release
 2.2) If possible a similar dashboard should be available at Release level (Mutiple Projects in the Release).

Questions are:

1) Is Rational working in something related to these requests?
2) If not,
Is it possible to implement this?
If so,
a) how?
b) can you point me to any specific documentation?

2) Is it recommended by Rational?
If not, which is the rationale of not recommending doing this?

Thanks in advance!

Victoria.

2 answers

permanent link
DH Lee (25784446) | answered Nov 03 '13, 7:47 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Hello Maria,

I have not actually tested it, however from my understanding.

1.1. I think this is possible by configuring custom calculated value with script
1.2  same as above

2. Additional reports can be generated using RRDI, BIRT or Rational Insight. 

Alternatively, if you would like above functions to be included in RTC without having to create custom attributes, scripts, you can raise "Request for Enhancement" from http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/

Comments
Maria Victoria Martinez Torino commented Nov 05 '13, 7:52 a.m.

Hi,
So based on your answer, this can be configured and reportable. Can you please point me to any specific documentation?
Beyond that EVM can be supported by RTC, is this really recommended by Rational? and if not, which is the rationale of not recommending doing this?

Thanks in advance!

permanent link
Robert Huet (23112884) | answered Jul 02 '14, 12:24 p.m.
 IBM focuses primarily on Agile methods in RTC and the Data Warehouse, and EVM reporting represents the old, traditional methods of project management.  I am working with a customer right now to implement EVM using the traditional process template, and we are having to use Rational Insight to populate the necessary data in the Data Warehouse and to develop the EVM reports. 

So the short answer to your question is that, if your organization is adopting Agile methods, you are much better off using Agile burn down charts to determine earned value rather than EVM.  Agile is supported out-of-the-box, while EVM is not.  Having said that, the Rational Insight Reporting Data Model includes all kinds of project management metrics including EVM, but these are not getting populated by the ETL.  I think this is just window dressing, but it causes a lot of confusion.  Still trying to get an answer on that one.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.