It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Time Spent greater than Estimate

Fábio Castro (6311215) | asked Oct 16 '13, 11:20 a.m.
Sounds that the max hours I can report in Time Spent is what was Estimated.

Would be perfect if we never use more hours in a task than what was estimated, but in the real world it happens, if I have 10 hours in Estimate attribute I'm not able to report 12 hours in Time Spent attribute, in this case the maximum that I can report in Time Spent attribute is 10 hours... it is a big issue for me.

Someone know how to change it?

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Oct 16 '13, 11:57 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

If you run in time spent mode, you should be put as much time in it as you wish.
If you run in time remaining, you can not enter more than the time estimated. You have to increase the estimate by using corrected estimate so that this value and the time remaining make sense.

Not sure what else could be an issue. What Version of RTC? What Template? Did someone extend the Project area with some validator?

Comments
Fábio Castro commented Oct 16 '13, 12:42 p.m.

Version 4.0.2
Scrum Template

There is no validator...

It is running in time remaining, how can I change it?

Thanks.

Ralph Schoon commented Oct 16 '13, 3:06 p.m.

As a project admin, open the Project Area in Eclipse. Go to process configuration, In the project configuration>Configuration data  find the Planning node, In General or one of the top items you can change from time remaining to time spent.

Don't have access right now and can't remember all the details.

Fábio Castro commented Oct 16 '13, 5:05 p.m.

Thanks Ralph,

I changed to Time Spent, but now I can "report" hours in Time Spent attribute just one time...  For example I put 2h in Time Spent attribute, I saved workitem, if I try to update Time Spent to 10h, when I save workitem my change is discarded and Time Spent come back to 2 hours.

Is this correct? I can update Time Spent just one time?

Can I change it? how?

Geoffrey Clemm commented Oct 16 '13, 11:23 p.m.

I did a quick test in 4.0.3, and was able to update Time Spent multiple time with no issues (both from the Eclipse client and from the web client).  One thing I noticed ... you indicated that you are trying to "report 12 hours in the Time Spent attribute".   When the Plan mode is "Time Remaining", both the Eclipse and Web clients only show a "Time Remaining" field, not a "Time Spent" field.   Through what UI were you updating the Time Spent field?

Fábio Castro commented Oct 18 '13, 5:23 p.m.

Actually the Plan of my project area is Time Spent and not Time Remaining.

Correcting my information, by eclipse Time Spent attribute is gray I can not edit, and by Web I can edit and change value but when I save Time Spent goes back to previous value.

Fábio Castro commented Oct 21 '13, 5:42 p.m.

Without solution I'm trying to fix it myself.

I change the presentation of Time Spent, Kind was as Time Spent and I changed to Time Duration.
Now I'm able to edit how many times I want by eclipse client but I can not edit by web client... maybe because of some delay to apply my changes on web client...

I will post more updates.

showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.