It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can I export custom roles and permissions in RRC for reuse in future Project Areas/Lifecycle Projects?

Brian Vander Mey (5041520) | asked Sep 26 '13, 5:08 p.m.
edited Sep 26 '13, 5:18 p.m.
My department spent a good deal of time creating a standard project setup for our team.  We defined artifacts, attributes, roles, permissions, and more.

Artifacts, attributes, and folder structure are all easy.  They're stored in the Project Template.

Roles and permissions are a different story.  They're contained in the Process Template.  So far as I can tell, it is not possible to export a custom process template, only the default.  

You may say that I could do one of the following:
  1. Use the Eclipse Client to modify the Process Template or Permissions
  2. Export the default Template and modify the Permissions using the XML in specifications.txt
Neither of these solutions are feasible.  Here's why:

1. Use the Eclipse Client to modify the Process Template.
This is the approach advocated by this article, but it is incorrect.  While you can modify Permissions, the tool only sees permissions associated with RTC, not RRC.

2. Export the default Template and modify the Permissions using the XML in specifications.txt
Hypothetically, this could work.  You can change permissions using the XML.  For advanced users, there's some decent documentation on syntax and a schema.  However, theres no publicly available list of Project Operation IDs (this list is only RTC, not RRC).  The best term for this list is probably Data Dictionary, there's no published Operation IDs Data Dictionary.

Let me demonstrate the difficulty: Here's the entire default list of Permissions for Project Configuration for "Everyone", straight from the XML:
<role id="default">
           <project-operation id="com.ibm.rrs.saveComment">
               <action id="any"/>
           </project-operation>
           <project-operation id="com.ibm.rrs.saveReviewApproval">
               <action id="any"/>
           </project-operation>
<project-operation id="com.ibm.rrs.savePrivateQuery">
               <action id="any"/>
           </project-operation>
           <project-operation id="com.ibm.rrs.savePrivateTag">
               <action id="any"/>
           </project-operation>
           <project-operation id="com.ibm.rrs.clm.link.save">
    <action id="any"/>
           </project-operation>
       </role>
There are only 5 permissons you can modify here:
clm.link.save, savePrivateTag, savePrivateQuery, saveReviewApproval, saveComment.
Why is this, since there are clearly so many more options when choosing your permissions?

Because the XML only shows Permissions that are "checked" in the default Process ID.  Users will undoubtedly have changed Permissions on Actions or Project Operations, but there's no RRC ID list to be found, so no way to know how or what to update.  (By the way, for non IBM devs, these are the RTC definitions for the terms I've used: Project OperationPermissions, RoleAction.)

Have I missed anything?  Any approach to reusing roles and permissions I haven't thought of or tried yet?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Chris Goldthorpe (4287) | answered Sep 27 '13, 12:48 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
It is now possible to export a process template from the Web UI, this has been the case since 4.0.1. I think you will find this to be the easiest way. Process sharing is an alternate way or reusing process which allows you to have one Project Area provide process for a set of consumers and when the providers process changes the consumers will inherit those changes.
Brian Vander Mey selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Chris Goldthorpe commented Sep 27 '13, 12:53 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

This shows where the export process template button can be found.

Brian Vander Mey commented Sep 27 '13, 1:21 p.m.
That option is missing from my view.  I'm guessing it is a setting or permission somewhere that activates this.  Can you point me to it?

Chris Goldthorpe commented Sep 27 '13, 1:32 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I don't think you need a special permission to see this button. What version of CLM are you running? 

Brian Vander Mey commented Sep 27 '13, 1:34 p.m.

I just double-checked my role permissions, and as the admin, I have every option checked, so there shouldn't be a problem there. 

I haven't found anything else.  What would cause me to not have the option you see?

Martha (Ruby) Andrews commented Sep 27 '13, 2:38 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

In 4.0.3 (and before), the button is on the list of project areas rather than in the project area editor itself.

Brian Vander Mey commented Sep 27 '13, 3:01 p.m. | edited Sep 27 '13, 3:16 p.m.

@mandrew,

I think I've found that.  Haven't checked it out yet, but thanks.

I'm running 4.0.2

showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

One other answer

permanent link
Brian Vander Mey (5041520) | answered Sep 27 '13, 3:21 p.m.
 @mandrew and @cgold,

No search terms I could think of resulted in this answer.  Not in the technical documentation, or the wiki, or anywhere.  I am thrilled that this is possible, and have seen that it works, but I'd like to see it well-documented for others.

All the best,
Brian

Comments
Chris Goldthorpe commented Sep 27 '13, 4:22 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I've alerted our documentation team about the difficulty of finding this information.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.