It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can files be set to readonly permission after scm load?

DH Lee (25784446) | asked Aug 09 '13, 12:28 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
retagged Aug 13 '13, 7:30 p.m. by Te-Hsin Shih (2854)
 Referring to number of posts on forum and jazz.net, I gather that file permission is not maintained after scm load for Unix/Linux.

However I am working with users who would like to achieve
"Particular files to be set to read only after scm load". If placing ""Particular files to be set to read only after scm load" followup action is not possible, is there any APIs that we can use to achieve this?

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Aug 17 '13, 12:37 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Did you want the files to be read-only to notify the users that they shouldn't be changing those files?   If so, what information in RTC were you expecting that to be based on?

2 answers

permanent link
Kim Soederhamn (1.5k24247) | answered Aug 09 '13, 7:26 a.m.
You can either move the files to a component owned by a specific user or you can use the lock on the files to prevent other users from editing them ? Could this help you ?

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Aug 09 '13, 12:31 p.m.

Note that these actions would not cause the files to be loaded as read-only in the file system.

DH Lee commented Aug 13 '13, 1:11 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Thank you Kim, however I am afraid what Geoff said is true, it will not cause files to be loaded as read-only in the file system. We need to load file in read-only format.

Geoffrey, do you know if it can be achieved in RTC? My customer is really keen to find out if this is possible,

Geoffrey Clemm commented Aug 13 '13, 11:11 p.m.

No, RTC currently provides no way to specify that a file in a sandbox should be loaded as read-only.   You can specify that in a given stream, a change to a given file (or to all files in a given component) cannot be delivered, but you cannot specify that a file in a workspace is read-only (i.e. you can always checkin changes to any file that you have read access to).

DH Lee commented Aug 15 '13, 12:52 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Thank you Geoffrey for confirming such function does not exist in RTC. Users would like to know if API level source can be modified so that when file load is completed, custom followup action can be performed to change permission of files.

If this is possible, could you please guide us to where in the API we can modify?

Geoffrey Clemm commented Aug 16 '13, 2:40 p.m. | edited Aug 17 '13, 12:37 a.m.

I do not believe that the load functionality in RTC is suitable for customer extension.

permanent link
Simon Eickel (1.1k75457) | answered Aug 16 '13, 4:49 a.m.
Hi DH,

I think this Enhancement could help you in some kind.
It is for using some kind of list of files which should be loaded as read only and will only get writable when you set a flag. It's some kind of pessimistic locking:
https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=93617

Greetings,
Simon

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Aug 16 '13, 2:45 p.m. | edited Aug 17 '13, 12:42 a.m.

Note that work item 93617 (pessimistic locking) would load files as read-only but wouldn't provide read access control, because anyone can checkout a file (that isn't already checked out).   So whether this would be useful would depend on why you wanted the files to be loaded as read-only.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.