It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I get a model out of Design Manager?

Ricky Fielding (38712) | asked Aug 07 '13, 6:06 p.m.

Hi,

So, call me crazy, but it turns out we're not having a great experience with design manager.  We're considering taking the model back to RTC.  I understand that we can't change the data management mode back and that we'd essentially need to start new projects.  My question is this: How do I get the data back out of DM and into a model that can be managed with RTC?  I can't find anything about doing this and I'm afraid that we've tossed weeks of design work into a black hole. 

For those interested in our reasons:

1. The connection to our DM server is extremely slow, with some simple model operations taking multiple minutes to complete (The server is cross-country and crosses multiple government network domains). 
  2. Our software is hosted by another organization which means we are constantly at least 1-2 revisions behind (currently RSA 8.0.4.1 and CLM/DM 4.0.2).  I suspect the DM improvements (important to us for change mgmt and multi-project access control) in 4.0.3 and later would still be a year out.
  3. We model mostly in UPIA and DM's support for it is lacking (e.g., no 'Add UPIA' context-menu)
  4. Did I mention that many modeling tasks take forever?  Saving an element is reliably 20 seconds. Saving a diagram with a half dozen new elements? 2-3 minutes.

Thanks,

Ricky Fielding

Accepted answer

permanent link
Jin Zhou (591519) | answered Aug 08 '13, 1:27 a.m.
Hi,

I'm using Rhapsody DM, no not familiar with RSA DM.
Just wondering whether you can first open the model from RSA DM on RSA client, then save the model locally.
to continually store the model info into RTC?

Using RSA DM importer engine can only extract the model from RTC to RSA DM.
https://jazz.net/library/article/718/

Hope other product experienced person could come to help you soon.
Regards
Ricky Fielding selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ricky Fielding commented Aug 08 '13, 6:45 p.m.

No, I don't think we can save to a local copy from Design Explorer in RSA. It looks like this is a feature to be added in DM 4.0.4 (See work items 20778 and 38169 for some discussion).  Jin Zhou,  do you know if you can save a local copy of a model from the Rhapsody DM client?  One of the developers thought it might be a feature there already.  I might be able to get access to Rhapsody DM for long enough to do that if it would work.

Jin Zhou commented Aug 08 '13, 7:49 p.m.

If you have checked the feature is planned for RSA DM 4.0.4, I believe Rhasody DM won't implemet it earlier than 4.0.4. According to my experience, Rhapsody DM takes steps later than RSA DM to implement any new features.

By the way, Rhapsody standalone rich client is possible to connect DM server and further open the model directly from DM server. In this case, user is allowed to [save as] the model locally as a new model.

Can't RSA rich client do the same job?

Regards

Ricky Fielding commented Aug 12 '13, 12:57 p.m.

No, as far as I can tell, RSA Design Explorer does not explicitly allow the user to save the model locally. Based on the discussion on the work item (20778), it appears that using Rhapsody DM  wouldn't have been an option either. 

As it turns out--unexpectedly, based on my other experiences with the tools--using cut-and-paste between Design Explorer and the RSA Project Explorer does work, so I will be able to move my models out of DM.  I expect we'll continue to use is for design reviews, but it will be a couple of years before we try it for CM again.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.