It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Easier to upgrade to 4.0 from 3.01 or clean install?

Hooch Holly (7442024) | asked Jul 26 '13, 9:51 a.m.
retagged Jul 26 '13, 1:09 p.m. by Michael Afshar (7014)

We need to migrate from 3.01 to 4.0.     Is it easier for me to do an upgrade in place, or should I start over on a clean server?

Thanks!

Accepted answer

permanent link
KrishnaKanth Naik (76511015) | answered Jul 26 '13, 9:59 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jul 26 '13, 10:01 a.m.
Hello Hooch

Upgrading to 4.x is relatively easy. If you are Ok to just start over on a clean server[which would imply that you have relatively lesser data that you are bothered of], I would definitely recommend you to try the upgrade option. But, please upgrade to 4.0.3 instead of 4.0.

Here is an interactive upgrade guide that will ease your upgrade:
Interactive Upgrade Guide
Hooch Holly selected this answer as the correct answer

2 other answers

permanent link
Karl Weinert (2.0k52736) | answered Jul 26 '13, 10:00 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Unless you are starting over with all new data you should perform the upgrade.

permanent link
Abraham Sweiss (2.4k1331) | answered Jul 26 '13, 10:01 a.m.
Hello Hooch,

If you do not want to lose any of the existing data, then migration would be the best option.  However if the 30.1 is running on a 32bit machine, then I would  suggest upgrading to a 64bit platform which has enough ram to support 4.0.x.   
For 4.0.x we suggest to have min=max heap to at least 4gig for each server...along with enough memory to support native memory requirements.   As a rule of thumb I like to suggest never exceeding 50percent of available RAm for processes running on the o/s.  So if RTC has 4gig allocated, then there should be 8gig ram  available to the host.

Comments
Hooch Holly commented Jul 26 '13, 10:20 a.m.

Thanks, the target machine is currently at 6GB, I will request to have it bumped to 8GB.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.