It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

4.0.3 RTC Windows Shell Client on 4.0.2 RTC Server

Sean Burke (3789144247) | asked Jun 20 '13, 2:52 p.m.
 It looks like the RTC Server has to be upgraded from 4.0.2 to 4.0.3 in order to use the 4.0.3 Windows Shell Client.  Can somebody confirm this.  I was hoping this was not the case.

One answer

permanent link
Josh Crawford (984615) | answered Jun 20 '13, 5:44 p.m.
Hi Sean,

RTC clients need to be at the server level or below.  There is n-1 for server to client compatibility which is described in greater detail in the infocenter here:
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m3/topic/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/c_n-1.html

Comments
Sean Burke commented Jun 20 '13, 5:56 p.m.

Josh that was my understanding but I am getting this error 

Josh Crawford commented Jun 20 '13, 6:00 p.m.

Hi Sean,  correct.  The client needs to be at the server level or below.  Meaning the shell client needs to be at 4.0.2 or less in your case.  From the infocenter:

Clients are also compatible across fix packs for a release. When combined with N-1 compatibility, this means that client R works with all future fix packs for server R in addition to server R+1 and all future fix packs for server R+1. Note that servers must always be at the same level as or newer than clients. For example client 4.0.1.1 can connect to server 4.0.1.2, but if client 4.0.1.2 attempts to connect to server 4.0.1.1 a message informs you that the versions do not match.

Piotr Aniola commented Jun 21 '13, 4:49 a.m.

I believe it's designed this way, because it's easier to upgrade one central server than possibly thousands of clients. Therefore, it is allowed that some clients are somewhat out of date.

Please note however, that some fixes require both client and server upgrades to work.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.