It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Good practices for setting up RTC environment

Paul Sims (31513421) | asked Dec 10 '08, 7:50 a.m.
I'm consulting the community because I'm not sure we're implementing good practices in setting up our RTC environment. We're using the Scrum Process Template. So far we're only using RTC for planning and tracking, so we can put SCM and build considerations aside. (Or can we?) Our organization consists of about 200 developers, testers, writers, and UX professionals organized into about 20 Scrum teams that span three geographic locations.

When we started using RTC, we created one project area, one team area, and multiple sub-team areas, one for each Scrum team. We also created one work item category per team area and associated each category with its corresponding team. So far so good? We were able to create a product backlog and sprint backlogs for each team and all seemed to work well.

We now want to track development on three different deliverables (releases). The teams and people are the same, but the releases are on slightly different schedules and are happening in parallel. Initially I thought we would use separate project areas for each release, but realized that meant duplicating team areas and reports; not what we wanted.

Earlier this week I created two additional development lines. Now we have one line for the main release, another for a feature pack, and a third for another deliverable. I created an iteration for each of the deliverables, and iterations for the sprints in each deliverable. How am I doing so far?

At that point I thought we were set but quickly learned that to have separate sprint backlogs for each development line, you also need to define separate team areas. When you create a sprint backlog, you have to specify the project area, team area, and iteration. What I found is that by selecting the team area, I am implicitly selecting the development line (release) and therefore the corresponding sprints. I was hoping that the iteration would be independent of the team area, but it is not.

Now I'm creating additional team areas for teams who are simultaneously working on two development lines. Is this the best approach? Can we still share the teams' work item categories across the three development lines, or should I be thinking about creating additional work item categories too?

I was hoping to keep the structure simple, but it's grown more complicated now that we have three development lines. Is there a better way to set up our environment?

Paul Sims
IBM WebSphere Commerce

32 answers

permanent link
Jeremy Hughes (2164837) | answered Dec 12 '08, 2:38 p.m.
Room for one more?

permanent link
Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431) | answered Dec 12 '08, 3:42 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I've been following this thread as I have a similar project I'll be working on over the next couple months (see https://jazz.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2948). I'm also interested in contributing to an article.

Excellent! I've not been able to use the source code management stuff yet on my projects, so your understanding and perspective on that are even more needed than they are welcome.

Room for one more?

Of course. Within reason, I don't want to turn anyone away (like it's my call anyway) who wants to lend a hand.

Two updates/issues:
1. Who has a visible server that our test Project Areas can be hosted on? I might be able to do this, but I'd need to make sure that accounts for y'all didn't let you muck around in the other projects hosted there (I don't care, but somebody might).
2. The developerWorks editor I've worked with before is very interested.

I'll look into the Bluehouse area as soon as I finish my sandwich...

permanent link
Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431) | answered Dec 12 '08, 4:21 p.m.
I don't know what I was thinking -- once we find a host for our Project Areas, we can do all the work/discussion/file storage there. :-)

I did a quick test with a new user and you can see anything and everything. This makes the server I host a couple internal projects on an inappropriate choice. I can probably dig up a machine somewhere, but if someone has a server setup and is willing to host a Project Area or two for this effort, that would be much appreciated.

permanent link
Adrian Spender (36143) | answered Dec 12 '08, 5:02 p.m.
I don't know what I was thinking -- once we find a host for our Project Areas, we can do all the work/discussion/file storage there. :-)

I did a quick test with a new user and you can see anything and everything. This makes the server I host a couple internal projects on an inappropriate choice. I can probably dig up a machine somewhere, but if someone has a server setup and is willing to host a Project Area or two for this effort, that would be much appreciated.

I can offer to host a server, but behind the IBM firewall only. I do need to move it up to 1.0.1 though.

It is running WAS/DB2 and using Bluepages for auth. The nice thing is that it was our pilot server and is now out of active use - breaking it won't hurt anybody! There are also projects on there that represent my experiments around multi-release/large team project structure.

I only have two work days left this year (and about 2 weeks of work to do in them) so if waiting until the new year will slow others down then I'll take a back seat

permanent link
Jared Burns (4.5k29) | answered Dec 12 '08, 6:08 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I would like to volunteer to be a technical contact for this article. I
have a deep understanding of the Process model and runtime.

Jared Burns
Jazz Process Team

permanent link
Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431) | answered Dec 12 '08, 6:08 p.m.
Personally, I was hoping to take advantage of the sort of soft/slow work time over the next couple of weeks (including a week or so of vacation time) to knock out the bulk of the work. So while it is very tempting to ask you to host, it doesn't really work for my schedule. But if I'm the only one planning to work through this period, then you're on! Thanks for stepping up and offering and have a great holiday.

permanent link
Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431) | answered Dec 12 '08, 6:12 p.m.
I would like to volunteer to be a technical contact for this article. I have a deep understanding of the Process model and runtime.

Jared Burns
Jazz Process Team

Thank you very much! I didn't want to ask directly (I know most folks are crazy busy). I hope to have a work area setup somewhere by Monday (US Pacific Time).

permanent link
Mike Johnson (28624221) | answered Dec 15 '08, 8:32 a.m.
Folks,

Just wanted to provide you a note of encouragement from a completely outside-IBM perspective. The article you are going to collaborate on is definitely a "hot topic" that needs to be explained and expounded on! So a hearty and cheerful "thanks!" in advance -- and if you decide to work the article in some location that's accessible to outsiders, I'd appreciate (and I am sure many others would as well) a link here so we could follow progress...

Regards,
Mike Johnson

permanent link
Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431) | answered Dec 15 '08, 10:20 a.m.
Folks,

Just wanted to provide you a note of encouragement from a completely outside-IBM perspective. The article you are going to collaborate on is definitely a "hot topic" that needs to be explained and expounded on! So a hearty and cheerful "thanks!" in advance -- and if you decide to work the article in some location that's accessible to outsiders, I'd appreciate (and I am sure many others would as well) a link here so we could follow progress...

Regards,
Mike Johnson

Thanks, Mike (and those for whom you speak). It does help knowing someone else is interested.

If we end up hosting the workspace internal to IBM, it will only be because we don't have a way to host visible to everyone. Even if I knew how to make my lab server visible on the Internet (and it is probably impossible), I'd likely be violating a dozen security rules -- I might have violated one or two just thinking about it. ;-) If we end up there, it will strictly be because of the mechanics of our environment.

permanent link
Mike Johnson (28624221) | answered Dec 15 '08, 10:39 a.m.
Millard,

Completely understand. Good luck! And if you want to bounce a draft of the article off of a Jazz/RTC "newbie" to make sure it's written "for dummies," I'd be happy to review it.

Thanks,
Mike

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.