It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Problem seeing SCM updates on another RTC

Mike Johnson (28624221) | asked Dec 08 '08, 3:43 p.m.
I have set up two machines to start learning Jazz/RTC. On machine 1, I have created a single stream and added some files to it. On machine 2, I have pulled the stream, so have the same copies of the files. Now on machine 1 I have made an update (added some comments to a file). I never see an "incoming changeset" on machine 2 with the change; I can, however, see the changeset if I browse the history of the repository workspace. The only way I can find to get the change over is to "Replace With" and select the same stream. I use this, and then my change shows up. I know I must be doing something wrong; I just expected the changeset I created/delivered on machine 1 to magically show up in some "Incoming" list on machine 2.

Thanks in advance,
Mike Johnson

6 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Dec 08 '08, 4:43 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I have set up two machines to start learning Jazz/RTC. On machine 1, I have created a single stream and added some files to it. On machine 2, I have pulled the stream, so have the same copies of the files. Now on machine 1 I have made an update (added some comments to a file). I never see an "incoming changeset" on machine 2 with the change; I can, however, see the changeset if I browse the history of the repository workspace. The only way I can find to get the change over is to "Replace With" and select the same stream. I use this, and then my change shows up. I know I must be doing something wrong; I just expected the changeset I created/delivered on machine 1 to magically show up in some "Incoming" list on machine 2.

Thanks in advance,
Mike Johnson

Hi Mike

Did you "Deliver" the change (from the Pending Changes tab) to your stream? Until you do that Deliver from machine 1 - you should not see your changes appear on the other machine's repository workspace as Incoming changes

anthony

permanent link
Mike Johnson (28624221) | answered Dec 08 '08, 5:56 p.m.
Did you "Deliver" the change (from the Pending Changes tab) to your stream? Until you do that Deliver from machine 1 - you should not see your changes appear on the other machine's repository workspace as Incoming changes

Yes I did. And if I browse the repository workspace and show history, it shows up in the history.

Another point of interest -- the "loaded workspace" in the Team Artifacts view shows "(1 - Initial Baseline)" next to it. Does that mean my local workspace is currently "locked" on the initial version of the stream? Not sure how to read that...

Thanks,
Mike

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Dec 08 '08, 5:58 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Also, to be precise, you should be identifying where and how you are
using workspaces (since all changes are initially made in the context of
a workspace).

So I assume you have two workspaces (one being used by the client on
machine 1, and the other being used by the client on machine 2), both of
which are flowing their changes with the stream (i.e. that stream is the
current flow target of each workspace).

So when you say "on machine 1 I have made an update", I assume you mean
that you have made an update (checked in some changes) in your workspace
on machine 1. As Anthony points out, to make those visible to the
workspace on machine 2, you need to "deliver" those changes from the
machine 1 workspace. They will then showing up in the Pending Changes
view for the workspace on machine 2, at which point they can be
"accepted" by the workspace on machine 2 (which will cause those changes
to show up in the files loaded on machine 2).

Cheers,
Geoff

kesterto wrote:
micjohnson997wrote:
I have set up two machines to start learning Jazz/RTC. On machine
1, I have created a single stream and added some files to it. On
machine 2, I have pulled the stream, so have the same copies of the
files. Now on machine 1 I have made an update (added some comments
to a file). I never see an "incoming changeset" on machine
2 with the change; I can, however, see the changeset if I browse the
history of the repository workspace. The only way I can find to get
the change over is to "Replace With" and select the same
stream. I use this, and then my change shows up. I know I must be
doing something wrong; I just expected the changeset I
created/delivered on machine 1 to magically show up in some
"Incoming" list on machine 2.
Thanks in advance,
Mike Johnson

Hi Mike

Did you "Deliver" the change (from the Pending Changes tab)
to your stream? Until you do that Deliver from machine 1 - you
should not see your changes appear on the other machine's repository
workspace as Incoming changes

anthony

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Dec 08 '08, 6:21 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Yes I did. And if I browse the repository workspace and show history, it shows up in the history.

Another point of interest -- the "loaded workspace" in the Team Artifacts view shows "(1 - Initial Baseline)" next to it. Does that mean my local workspace is currently "locked" on the initial version of the stream? Not sure how to read that...

Thanks,
Mike

OK - so you checked-in and delivered (or you have check-in set to run automatically when you save and you just delivered). And there was me thinking this was something simple....

I take it you are ok with the idea of the Eclipse vs Repository workspace, and that the Eclipse workspace is just a local copy of your repository workspace.

When you delivered, were the changes in the Outgoing section of the Pending Changes, or somewhere else.

This is all very curious, I am sure we will collectively get to the bottom of this soon.

BTW - I believe the Initial Baseline tag means that was the version you loaded up into your workspace. It's not locked on that - just trying to tell you what you have loaded at the moment.

Did you create any components or other baselines and snapshots - or just accept the defaults?

anthony

permanent link
Mike Johnson (28624221) | answered Dec 09 '08, 2:47 p.m.
OK - so you checked-in and delivered (or you have check-in set to run automatically when you save and you just delivered).
When you delivered, were the changes in the Outgoing section of the Pending Changes, or somewhere else.

I checked in and delivered. The changes showed up in the "Outgoing" section.

Did you create any components or other baselines and snapshots - or just accept the defaults?

I created two components. I believe I renamed both of them; I think one of them is called "Mike's First Component" and the other one is called "Comp2" :D

Maybe my next interesting discovery from this morning will either help or confuse the issue more.

1. On "machine A" I created a baseline in my "Comp2".
2. On "machine A" I then delivered the baseline (it showed up in the Pending Changes view).
3. On "machine A", in my Team Artifacts view->My Repository Workspaces->My Repository Workspace->Comp2, I select "Show Baselines".
4. The list shows "Baselines for Comp2 component in Mike's Repository Workspace". The top one is the baseline I just created.
5. Next I select the dropdown and change to show "Baselines for Comp2 component in Mike's Team Stream". The list shows just 2 baselines (the one I just created and the initial baseline).

6. Next I go back to "machine B".
7. On "machine B" under the repository workspace, I right-click Comp2 and select "Show Baselines". It shows me 3 baselines -- 1 - Initial Baseline, 3 - Backup Before Replace, and then 1-Initial Baseline again. Nothing about the baseline I just created.
8. On "machine B" I select the dropdown and change to show "Baselines for Comp2 component in Mike's Team Stream." The list shows the 2 baselines shown in step 5 above (the one I just created and the initial baseline).
9. I right-click the baseline I just created and select "Compare with Local Workspace". The Changes view is empty; this I did not expect, since the changes we've been talking about should be in the latest baseline. (I added some files, deleted a file, modified 2 files...) This would not be expected because I can see in my local Eclipse workspace that the new files are not there, the modified files have not been modified, and the deleted file is still there. I am thinking that if I can ever get my changesets to show up in the "Incoming" list and apply those, then all those changes will get applied.
10. Also, the other weird thing is that the drop down for picking what is shown in the History view is very different between the two machines. On machine A I have several items; the 2 baseline menu items mentioned above, plus menu items to show the history of the stream and the history of the workspace. On machine B I only have the 2 baseline menu items.

Sorry for all the wordiness... I know there must just be something dumb I am not seeing!!

Thanks,
Mike Johnson

permanent link
Mike Johnson (28624221) | answered Dec 09 '08, 3:43 p.m.
OK, I think my problems are solved. I apparently was using the *same* workspace on both machines, and maybe that was hosing stuff up? I created a new workspace on machine B, and now I can flow changes back and forth between both machines by using the workspaces to deliver to the stream, and then accepting incoming changes from the stream.

I *knew* I would get this eventually!!! I think it's just the changing of the SCM terms that was messing me up -- I'm used to the Subversion world, so it takes some adjustment. :wink:

Thanks,
Mike

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.