It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Migrating data JAZZ test to prod

Norman Dignard (356688167) | asked May 07 '13, 11:33 a.m.

One of our project groups wants to start using JAZZ right away. I'm not complete in my prod server setup, having only a low powered test server running 4.0.1.

I know in the past releases there was no easy way to "rename" the URI without a lot of back end work but I seem to recall some enhancements to this.

Is it possible/feasible (aka. easy to do) to start up a project on our JAZZ test server and then migrate its data to our prod server? Note that we do not have any reverse proxy in place at this time. We plan on using RTC, DNG and RQM.

2 answers

permanent link
Ara Masrof (3.2k15) | answered May 07 '13, 12:11 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Norman,
With the release of CLM 4.x , there is now built in functionality to rename your Public URI
When you have a moment, take a look at the following two articles; they will give you a good overview of the functionality and impact

https://jazz.net/library/article/818
https://jazz.net/library/article/1120

Ara

Comments
Norman Dignard commented May 07 '13, 7:16 p.m.

Perhaps clarification is needed. I'm not renaming the server. I want to move its data from one server to another.

Our test server  just a playpen DL380 using the default derby db. I'm setting up our prod env -3 servers on a CISC UCS blade chassis using Oracle. One group can't wait another 2-3weeks while this is setup.

Ara Masrof commented May 08 '13, 7:37 a.m. | edited May 08 '13, 7:38 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Norman

The Public URI value resides in the database itself; so if you move it to a different location, it will still be referencing the original public URI value. The Server rename functionality allows you to change it so that it matches the new environment

Alternatively, Jim’s response is an option as well, and as he noted, its a little less overhead as well

permanent link
Jim Ruehlin (79114) | answered May 07 '13, 7:04 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I'd recommend setting the public URI of the new project to what you want to use in your production environment. Use the DNS or etc/hosts on local machines to route the CLM URL to the test server's IP address. 

For example (in etc/hosts):
my.clmserver.com   123.456.789

When you want to move the installation to a production machine, you keep the public URI and change the DNS (or etc/hosts).

It's cleaner to keep the public URI rather than changing it if you can. The Server Rename feature is not without its baggage. It doesn't actually change the URI of the data stored in the project. It creates a hash table that maps each call from the new public URI to the old public URI, and uses the old URI to actually access data. 

The result is that Server Rename prevents you from re-use the old public URI. And you take performance hit for each call, though it's a very small one that you probably won't even notice. But there's no reason to add cycles to your URI calls if you don't need to.

Comments
Norman Dignard commented May 07 '13, 7:16 p.m.

Perhaps clarification is needed. I'm not renaming the server. I want to move its data from one server to another.

Our test server  just a playpen DL380 using the default derby db. I'm setting up our prod env -3 servers on a CISC UCS blade chassis using Oracle. One group can't wait another 2-3weeks while this is setup.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.