It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Unable to import text document (Fatal errors during conversion: cvc-complex-type.2.4.a)

Maarten Sies (123) | asked May 03 '13, 8:50 a.m.
edited May 03 '13, 8:52 a.m.
I am trying to import a document into RRC. I have tried the original .doc, as well as RTF and .odt versions of the same file. There appears to be something in there that keeps choking the RRC import function. I have been unable to determine what the culprit is. Any pointers? I get the following error:
ID CRRRW7573E 
 The errors might be due to problems with the file contents.  Review the
 status messages shown. You might be able to modify the Microsoft Word 
document to allow it to be be imported without errors.
Errors
Details:
 Fatal errors during conversion: cvc-complex-type.2.4.a: Invalid content was found starting with element 'p'. One of '{"http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml":a, etc.............}' is expected.

One answer

permanent link
Maarten Sies (123) | answered May 03 '13, 11:22 a.m.
Using a binary search algorithm (importing each half of the document to see which half would fail) I was able to find the problem. It was a footnote. We are using 4.0.0.1 so I don't know if this is a bug that has been resolved by now.

Comments
My-An Nguyen commented May 03 '13, 12:00 p.m.

I have found that if a header section has a footnote, then the document conversion will fail with a similar error. For example,

Section 2: Section heading title ^1

Removing the footnote from the heading will allow the conversion to process successfully. Footnotes inside regular text should be fine.

Chase Patterson commented May 07 '13, 10:19 a.m. | edited May 07 '13, 10:22 a.m.

Hey all,

This issue was just resolved in our 404 stream.  It was re-produced in 3016, therefore I assume this defect is in all of the releases in between. 

Footnotes can cause issues anywhere that they may occur.  From what I discovered, a footnote in a heading will always cause this failure.  A footnote in body text will be okay as long as it only contains a paragraph element.  If it contains elements such as a table, then it will fail.

The workaround would be to try removing the footnote from the heading and placing it in the main text of the document.  If it still fails, the only option would be to include it as regular text.

See the following defect: http://ibmurl.hursley.ibm.com/3M7T

Maarten Sies commented May 07 '13, 1:35 p.m.

Thanks Chase,
this occurred on version 4.0.0.1, not sure how this relates back to streams but I'm happy the team is aware of the issue and trust it to have been resolved,

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.