It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Adding a LDAP link in work item Defect in RTC

Roeland Oostendorp (111) | asked Apr 26 '13, 9:24 a.m.
 Hi there,

If I am registering a defect I want to connect it to a known LDAP user. We already have a connection on the RTC server with our Active Directory. I can import users from LDAP. But is there a way to directly link a LDAP user to a work item (in this case a defect) 

Kind regards,

Roeland

5 answers

permanent link
Piotr Aniola (3.7k11738) | answered Apr 26 '13, 9:57 a.m.
I'm not sure what you mean by "link" to a workitem. Do you want to set the user as the owner of the workitem? In that case, only Jazz users will work, so you will have to import the user to the Jazz user repository from LDAP.

permanent link
Roeland Oostendorp (111) | answered Apr 26 '13, 10:45 a.m.
Not necessarily via an ownership, but I do want to know who reported the defect. And if possible do that thru a LDAP connection.  For now I created an open text field. I write down the username. Someone else writes down the full name, and another person writes only the first name. That's difficult if I want to make a query where I check how many defects user x reported. 

Comments
Karl Weinert commented Apr 26 '13, 2:09 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Based on your statement it sounds like the user reporting the defect isn't doing so by creating a work item, so their name is not attached to it as the creator. So  you want to create a field where the value is linked to an specific user in LDAP but not necessarily one that has been added to any RTC groups. This way the user creating the defect is forced to use a standard naming convention.
Is that correct?

I don't know the answer but if we can clarify the question a little more then maybe someone else will.

Roeland Oostendorp commented Apr 29 '13, 2:53 a.m.

Karl, 

I can say you are correct. That's is what I am looking for. Sorry for my bad description.

So is what I want at all possible? 
Linking a user from LDAP to a work item without being it the creator of the work item? 

permanent link
Piotr Aniola (3.7k11738) | answered Apr 26 '13, 10:49 a.m.
edited Apr 26 '13, 10:50 a.m.
Perhaps simply importing the users to Jazz would be a solution for you? This can be done in bulk, and these users don't need a license or anything like that.
You could then add a custom field of type Contributor to link the user with the WI.

Comments
Roeland Oostendorp commented Apr 29 '13, 4:04 a.m.

I think Piotr you might just have the solution for me. I already created a custom field contributor and I see I get the list I want. Now I am trying to find a way to do a bulk import to get all users, but I don't see an answer at the moment. Google doesn't help a lot. So I'll keep searching, but if somebody knows how or knows the right link please let me know. 

Thanks for the answers so far. 

permanent link
Piotr Aniola (3.7k11738) | answered Apr 29 '13, 4:17 a.m.
I don't know which version you're using, but for 4.0.2, the instructions are found here:
https://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m2/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.jazz.repository.web.admin.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_users_import.html

Comments
Roeland Oostendorp commented Apr 29 '13, 4:30 a.m.

I already tried this way, but it seems to be limited to 1 person per import. Can't find an explanation of bulk import and I didn't figure it out yet. Still searching. 

permanent link
Elisabeth Carbone (616108) | answered Apr 29 '13, 7:05 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
You can import or update all users from the mapped LDAP groups with command line tool repotools -syncUsers, see
https://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m2/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.jazz.install.doc%2Ftopics%2Fr_repotools_syncusers.html

There is also an automatically task that is syncronising LDAP with your repository. See more about this and the rules for syncing here:
https://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m2/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.jazz.repository.web.admin.doc%2Ftopics%2Fcldapsynctask.html

In any case you only will get the users that are members of the mapped LDAP groups.

/Elisabeth

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.