It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can I creat a Plan for different Timelines?

Mounir bsaibes (231712) | asked Apr 22 '13, 3:50 p.m.
edited Apr 22 '13, 3:51 p.m.
I have created 2 Timelines  in my project. One is the default  Main Development Timeline and one  a Support Timeline.

Currently (may change in the future) , the same team will be working on both Timelines.
I am trying to maintain the same Sprints (Iterations)  start and end dates for both Timelines.

When I try to create a plan, I only see the iterations under the Main Development Timeline, I cannot see the iterations under the Support Timeline.

I am sure  I missing something:
1) Do I need to create a separate team area for the  each Timeline? Even though the same time will be working on both Timelines?
2) I cannot associate the current team with the second Timeline, is this something I can control ? Or, it is a limitation imposed by RTC?

As the same team will be handling the support and the main development Timelines, I want to have a plan that covers iterations from both Timelines, is this possible?

I am ok to have a separate plan for the Support iterations, but I cannot seem to see the iterations of the Support Timeline.

Any pointer is appreciated.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Clement Liu (1.5k54249) | answered Apr 22 '13, 5:38 p.m.
Hi Mounir,

To answer your 2nd question first, currently RTC only supports one timeline per team. You can tell when you create a new team or modify an existing team, you can only single select a timeline. 

So for your 1st question, yes, I would create a separate team. But let me ask you this first, since both timelines has the same start and end dates, why would you want to create two timelines? 

Regarding your question about have one project plan to cover both timelines, it's also not possible right now. You can tell when you create a new plan, you're allowed to select only one team and one timeline. We have the same issue. We want to have RTC plan pull work items across multiple teams. We have thus raised this enhancement request: https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=192912

Not sure why you couldn't see the iterations under the Support timeline. Can you take a screen shot of your timeline in your project area? Also make sure you have the "A release is scheduled for this iteration" checked for each of the iterations. 

Hope it helps.

Mounir bsaibes selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Mounir bsaibes (231712) | answered Apr 22 '13, 6:04 p.m.
Clement,
Thank you for your reply.

To answer your question:
"
But let me ask you this first, since both timelines has the same start and end dates, why would you want to create two timelines? "

This is the current setup, we have the same team for both development and support. While, I am trying to maintain the same  start and end dates for the iterations. This may change in the future. In addition, we wanted to have user stories specific to the Support Timeline. The Support Timeline may have many releases, same as the main development Timeline, so looking at the future we would have a lot of releases that can get us in a mess. That is why we thought having separate timelines may be better on the long run.

As for not seeing the iterations under the Support timeline, I think I have figured it out with the help of Mark Ingebreston. I needed to create a new team area and associate it with the Support Timeline.

Thanks again,
Mounir

Comments
Clement Liu commented Apr 22 '13, 6:13 p.m.

Hi, Mounir,

Maybe you could create a custom work item field called "Releases" and use it to differentiate the work items in various releases between your Main and Support teams.

Thanks.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.