It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Exclude work item types or show only certain work item types in plan view?

Mike Shkolnik (9808161143) | asked Apr 11 '13, 6:46 p.m.
edited Apr 11 '13, 6:46 p.m.
For sprint planning, the teams prefer to hide the Epic parents and focus only on tasking out Stories without having to drill-down from the Epic level. We also have a Marquee level above Epic making this issue a bigger deal, as they have to drill down two levels to see stories and it muddies the interface during sprint planning. By default, there is no filter based on work item type except for execution items, which filters out tasks. I was hoping I could add a filter on the Plan View Elements screen, but in fact Filters is the one box you cannot add to (Groupings and Sorting both have that capability). I also tried deselecting Epic and Marquee as plan item types on the Work Item Categorization screen, but they still show. Ranking view works for hiding Epics and Marquees (since they exist at the Release and Product Backlog levels and are not in the Sprint), but I can't see the parent/child relationships between Stories/Defects and their child Tasks in that view. I also could not add a Grouping by Parent. Is there any other way to filter out higher levels, filter out work items that do not have a Planned For that matches the plan, or show only Stories, Defects, and Tasks in Work Breakdown view? We want to maintain the heirarchy of the Product Backlog and Release Backlog showing their children located in Sprints, but do not need to see up the chain when doing sprint planning.

(Note that Defects and Stories occupy the same level for us - both get Tasks as children)

One answer

permanent link
Kot T. (1.5k11219) | answered Apr 12 '13, 11:36 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Apr 12 '13, 11:37 a.m.
I'm sorry if I miss it, but have you tried the 'expression' filter on type? The following sample will filter out defect type.

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.team.apt.doc%2Ftopics%2Fr_quick_query_syntax.html

Comments
Mike Shkolnik commented Apr 12 '13, 5:04 p.m.

The expression filter only works for the lowest in the hierarchy (Tasks). It will not filter marquees or epics.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.