It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC for System Z Translator Variables in the TSO Command/Exec Line

Todd Zook (1156) | asked Apr 11 '13, 11:28 a.m.

Where can I locate a list of the acceptable variables used in the "TSO command or exec" line? I have one Translator setup to call a Rexx program on the mainframe and pass it the information I need to perform a Bind and now I want to be able to pass more information but this information varies from source member to source member.

Thanks!

4 answers

permanent link
Liam Doherty (2312) | answered Apr 22 '13, 11:33 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Todd

there are 4 pre-defined variables that you can use. Assuming I am building a GML member called BLZABOUT these  values will contain the following:

@{source.member.name}  returns BLZABOUT
@{source.dataset}  returns MYPREFIX.RC0TEST.GML(BLZABOUT)
@{source.project} returns MortgageApplication-Common
@{source.component} returns Mortgage Application

In addition there is a deprecated version of the source member:

@{source.member}  return (BLZABOUT) note the brackets around the member. Probably not that useful.

Additionally you can reference any property you have defined as a build property using the ${build.property} construct. There are actually 2 commonly used build properties that don't appear in the build properties list, well commonly used by us in our builds, called:

${team.enterprise.scm.resourcePrefix} returns MYPREFIX.RC0TEST
${team.enterprise.scm.fetchDestination} returns /u/myuser/RC0-Test

These 2 build properties are derived from the Load Directory and Resource Prefix in the Jazz Source Control section of a build. The difference between the build properties and the pre-defined variables mentioned previously is that the build properties will be the same for all of the members being built, whereas the 4 pre-defined variables will vary from member to member.

Finally from v4 onwards we also added user translator variables. You will see at the bottom of the translator definition a variables section where you speciafy a name/value pair for example DEBUG/NOTEST. You then reference the variable in the options using $DEBUG. For example I have in my default options of my compiler the following:

LIB,DYNAM,CICS,&DEBUG

You can then override this variable at a file level in the properties of an individual file.

Most of this is documented here:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.team.scm.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_RTCz_createtranslnode.html

Comments
Todd Zook commented Apr 23 '13, 8:59 a.m.

Thanks Liam!

I also came across Robin Yehle's blog on variables as well:

http://ryehle.wordpress.com/2012/12/20/specifying-compiler-options-on-a-per-file-basis-using-translator-variables/

Here is another site with information on the use variables that I haven't completed going throught yet, but looks very promising.

https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/ProgramLevelCompileOptions

Thanks!

permanent link
Xin Jin (111) | answered Nov 18 '14, 6:30 a.m.
Is it possible to get the data set name property from the data set definition? like get GML from MYPREFIX.RC0TEST.GML(BLZABOUT) ?

permanent link
Liam Doherty (2312) | answered Dec 11 '14, 5:43 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Xin Jin,

There is no property directly however you may be able to programmatically derive the low level qualifier from a combination of other properties.

In your example data set MYPREFIX.RC0TEST.GML(BLZABOUT)  the following properties return the following values:

${resourcePrefix}                     - MYPREFIX.RC0TEST (In the case of a personal build)
${resourceTeamPrefix}            - MYPREFIX.RC0TEST (If the team data set is to be used)
@{source.dataset}                   - MYPREFIX.RC0TEST.GML

So by subtracting the prefix from the complete data set name you end up with what is in the data set definition.

For more information on build properties see this wiki page : https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/EEBuildPropertiesExplained

permanent link
Ravikanth Chavali (401724) | answered Jan 10 '16, 12:37 p.m.
@{source.dataset}  returns MYPREFIX.RC0TEST.GML(BLZABOUT)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.