It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to set-up RQM Review/Approval Cycles and expect Email Notifications

Daniel Beattie (111) | asked Apr 11 '13, 6:37 a.m.
I am trying to setup a Review/Approval Cycle for test plans in RQM (Rational Quality Manager).

My goal is to enable Reviewers and Approvers to be notified by email of their required participation in reviewing/approving a test plan.

My current workflow is as follows,
- Create a test plan using the default test plan template.
- Go to the "Formal Review" panel for the test plan and add some Approvers/Reviewers.

(At this point, I click save, and from my understanding of documentation I have seen, RQM should now generate a "Task-Review" work item. The approvers/reviewers defined previously should now receive an email notification, telling them that a work item has been created, and they are required to take some action. However, this does not happen, and no work item is automatically created.)

- In the "Formal Review" Panel, there is a label that says "Quality Task - Create", clicking this opens a dialog
that allows you to create a work item.
- I select, "Task-Review," as the type and hit OK.
- A work item is now created, and again, I am given the opportunity to add reviewers/approvers.
- I do this, as before, and hit save.
- Again, I would expect some email notifications at this point, but none are to be seen.

Please could someone point out a flaw in my workflow, and tell me whether my assumptions are correct.
I feel I've hit a brick wall here, and with only a small, simple, task.

Thanks in advance.
Daniel.

One answer

permanent link
Tory Jaskoviak (52015) | answered Apr 15 '13, 3:09 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Daniel,

Which version of RQM are you using?

So the first thing I want to point out (in case you didn't already know) is that you can edit the Mail Template (i.e. the format) of the email that is sent out. You can go to 'Manage This Project Area' and then click on 'Mail Templates' from the left menu. Here you can setup the message template specifically for Approvals.

Now to configure email preferences, you need to open the User Editor. You can find this by going to https://<hostname>:<port>/<contextRoot>/admin. Then click the 'User' dropdown and select the user you want to configure and then click 'Main Configuration' in the left menu. You can select for what actions you want the user to receive email, specific to if the user is merely a creator versus, say, a modifier of the work item. Under Approvals, there should be an option to "Email me for approval changes that affect me".

So with that option selected, we can open a test artifact. If you create a new Formal Review Approval/Review and then 'Add approver' (adding the user who is configured to receive the email) and then click save, an email should be sent to the user. Please note that unless you selected the option 'Include my own changes to approvals' before, you won't receive email when you create an approval for yourself.

Hopefully that works!
-Tory

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.