It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RQM:data dictonary for run time in each testcase /each test script

Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | asked Aug 20 '13, 12:14 a.m.
retagged Aug 27 '13, 2:46 p.m. by Ralph Earle (25739)
RQM3.0.1.x used.
The user wants to create a list to show
By Test Plan total run time
By Test Case in Test Plan total run time
By Test Script total run time and then
add them to the dashboard for management purpose.

I only found TestCase Result or TCER result show the start time/end time and total run time.
There is no other existing report which could generate the expected time stamp for the above request, is that right?

In the Help,
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.jazz.reports.doc%2Ftopics%2Fr_qm_data_dictionary.html
Data dictionary has some info like:
TestScript RQMTestScript_CustomAttribute/timeValue /content/qm:testscript/qm:customAttributes/qm:customAttribute/qm:value CALM_Schema.TESTSCRIPT_TIMESTAMP_EXT/VAR Test Script Timestamp Extension/Value

For test case and so on, there is similar data for them.
I am wondering whether the user can retrieve the expected total run time data for each test script, test case or even test plan in a custom RRDI report?

1)Does anyone know if this schema is for that purpose?
2) Or there is any other way to achieve the similar result?
Any inputs are highly appreciated.

Comments
Don Yang commented Aug 20 '13, 3:21 a.m. | edited Aug 20 '13, 4:05 a.m.

In even latest  version of RQM, TestCase result does not expose the time stamp(total run time for the script running or Test Case execution) to the list of the View TestCase results and this is what the user wants to know about. I am not sure if there is any way to expose the time info for execution to the list of the test case result. I do notice that in TCER has Time Spent in the list to show although it is not clear how those Time Spent is from and whether it is TestCase/TestScript run time in total, this seems to imply that it is possible for TestCase result to also include the total run time in the view result list.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Jun Wang (6077) | answered Aug 21 '13, 10:09 p.m.
1. Yes, I understand the request. The execution time is based on test case result, and each test case result has test plan, test case and test script, so you can measure the time based on the 3 dimensions.

2. You said the customer would like to customize RRDI report, so he must use the framework model (FM) provided by CLM to design the report in the report studio of RRDI. The query subject is one concept of FM. There are Start Time and End Time fields in the query subject 'Execution Result' to show the starting time and end time of test case result. So I am wondering that if you would like to calculate the run time via the interval of End Time and Start Time. RRDI based on Cognos provides the function to allow you to get the interval. But you should consider the case that there is no End Time for an uncompleted test case result.  You can create a date item in the query of report to point to the interval of the time and set the aggregation to total and based on the dimensions (test plan, test case or test script of the result).

3. It is an optional way that you can define a timestamp type custom attribute of test case result to manually record the running time in RQM v3.0.1.x. In RQM V4.x, you could also see custom attribute of test case execution record in FM of RRDI. But you are right, it is required to manually update the attribute.

4. Yes, in RQM 4.0, it added the estimate and time spent fields of TCER and report model also supported that then. It is for the actual run time of TCER. However, the fields are also required to manually update.
Don Yang selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Don Yang commented Aug 21 '13, 10:22 p.m.

Thanks Jun for the clarification.

Based on your comments, my understanding is that
1) The user can only use RRDI query studio to collect test plan(may have multiple test cases), test case and test script based run time(execution interval between start time and end time: this query can be done based on Test Plan or Test Case or Test script dimensions
2) when using custom attribute, the user needs to manually update the run time to the field. This field can be see in RRDI in RQM v4.x as well
For time spent field, it requires manually input in RQM4.0.x as well.

Are the above understandings correct?

Jun Wang commented Aug 21 '13, 10:30 p.m.

Correct. But when you calculate the run time based on the interval of end time and execution time, it is necessary to consider some cases, for example, no test plan for the test case result, the test case result is still in progress, etc.

Don Yang commented Aug 26 '13, 9:21 p.m.

Thanks Jun for the confirmation.

2 other answers

permanent link
Jun Wang (6077) | answered Aug 20 '13, 11:30 p.m.
Hi, Don,

How do you identify the total run time? Is it the execution time (end time - start time) of test case results?
The test case result has its test plan, test case and test script, so you would like to measure the total run time of test case results by the dimensions: test plan, test case, test script.

Can you try the query subject 'Execution Result' and do the calculation of total of (end time - start time) based on the three dimensions?

Your listed is the custom attribute of artifacts and RRDI reports support to show them (http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.jazz.reports.doc%2Ftopics%2Fqm_t_customatt.html). That depends on how do you use the custom attribute. For example, you can define a timestamp type custom attribute of test case result to record the total run time, then show it in RRDI report.

permanent link
Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | answered Aug 21 '13, 8:50 p.m.
Thanks Jun for the answers.

1) Obviously one TestPlan can have more than one test case, hence by test plan total run time, it means sum of the all testcase execution time under test plan, by test case total run time as well script run time, we want to see the execution time for each test case and test script.

2) It is not clear what you mean" Can you try the query subject 'Execution Result' and do the calculation of total of (end time - start time) based on the three dimensions?", can you please clarify?

https://localhost:9443/qm/oslc_qm/contexts/_jKz34DEMEeGNobRzySQrGQ/resources/com.ibm.rqm.execution.ExecutionResult

To find out the xml file and then manually calculate the end time - start time? Or something different you want me to try? If using manually calculation, it would be the same when we check with the total run time in Test Case Result or TCER result as we can check it in GUI, what the user wants is to create a query from which it will show the execution time and then they can show it in dashboard using that query, is there any way to do this?

3) According to
==
Your listed is the custom attribute of artifacts and RRDI reports support to show them (http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.jazz.reports.doc%2Ftopics%2Fqm_t_customatt.html). That depends on how do you use the custom attribute. For example, you can define a timestamp type custom attribute of test case result to record the total run time, then show it in RRDI report.
===
Do you mean that we can only to define a custom attribute and manually update the time stamp info in the attribute and then show it in RRDI report? It does not make sense to me the data dictionary list CALM_Schema.TESTSCRIPT_TIMESTAMP_EXT/VAR and we need to manually input the run time(for example) in or der for RRDI to pick it up. Or my understanding is wrong here on how to use CALM_Schema.TESTSCRIPT_TIMESTAMP_EXT/VAR as this is the only one I can find from anywhere on the run time related info which the user wants to expose to the list or report so that they can see the run(execution) time of testplan/testcase/testscript in the dashboard.
Any suggestion if this is achievable or not?

4) In v4.0.3, I can see that in TestCase Execution Record view under Execution menu, we add "time spent" attribute which is not in v3.0.1.x. I am not sure if this "Time Spent" means total run time of TCER. From this, I guess that we do have a way to expose the time spent or run time of test case(or test script or test plan) in the list of TestCase result view. I would like to know how to do that or we can only request a RFE? Thanks

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.