It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

rational insight install and first use, develop new reports, modify existing. help

sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | asked Apr 10 '13, 4:57 p.m.
I need to learn how to write/modify reports in Rational Insight over our multi-CCM RTC installation.
we have insight installed, but I am doing my own on my dev system.

I have 4 RTC 4.0.1 CCMs installed and running.. 3 share a JTS, 1 is a 3.x upgraded to 4 on its own JTS.

I downloaded and installed Insight 1.1.1 (sept 2012) and it seems to have installed a new jts, and it brings up the same JTS admin I've seen before.. clearly not as fun/easy to use as RTC.  gotta be something am missing.
like the 'register insight server' setup doesn't 'do ' anything.. the command window behind says 'already' registered.  so 'guessing', I did the server:10443/jts/setup like the other rtc apps and setup came up..
don't know why I needed to do this..

and it ran thru setup with no prompts..

so, what next? I don't see a report viewer or developer UI.

6 answers

permanent link
Michael Walker (99214201157) | answered Apr 10 '13, 5:13 p.m.
The JTS that is installed with Tomcat is for setup purposes.  After the install when you brought up the jts/setup url did you select the "Setup Rational Insight" scenario and go through all the steps?  That's what I've done each time I've installed Insight. 

Afterwards you'll need to install the Development Tools if you want to use Data Manager, Framework Manager, etc.

permanent link
Sudhakar Frederick (80113631) | answered Apr 10 '13, 8:30 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Perhaps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7LD0AhP3DU will help with getting through the installation?As Michael said you will need to install the Insight Development Tools from https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-insight/releases/1.1.1.1/Ratl_Dev_tools_1.1.1.1.zip for DM, FM.
If you're just interested in the report authoring tools then once Insight is installed and configured, you will have access to Report Studio and Query Studio as with RRDI.

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Apr 10 '13, 11:29 p.m.
I'll go thru it again, but I don't remember any 'choices' in the setup. there was one button to start and then it ran and finished some 10 or 12 steps, no prompts.. I know nothing of the structure of RRDI nor Insight. but I have used and written database query tools in the past.  I am a novice graph drawer, so I hope the 'report studio' tool is targeted at rookies!

does 'query studio' mean adhoc tool?

course we want the output to be gadgets in the RTC dashboards of our users.

permanent link
Sudhakar Frederick (80113631) | answered Apr 10 '13, 11:45 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
it helps to have some "database query" knowledge , but you may want to go through the material in the Reporting Workshop and other Library material for the Report Studio, Query Studio parts before you start using either.

https://jazz.net/library/article/1269
https://jazz.net/library/presentation/847

permanent link
Michael Walker (99214201157) | answered Apr 11 '13, 12:28 a.m.
Unfortunately it's not really for novices...takes some time to learn.  I learned, or at least started to learn, by looking at the OOTB reports in Report Studio and reverse engineering how it was created to see what needs to be done.  I'd then take one of those reports that's close to what I need and enhance it.

Query Studio is simpler than Report Studio and used for list reports and a visual graph that represents the list reports.  If you want more advanced features, like parameters where users can specify Iterations that they want to see in report, you'll need to then use Report Studio.  I've found all the reports our users needed required me to use Report Studio.

I think you do need the Development Tools for use with Insight because you need to run the ETL jobs rather than the Data Collection jobs in CLM.

There's also several YouTube videos that give examples of creating simple reports in Query Studio. That might be a good place to start.  Search on Insight or RRDI reporting.

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Apr 11 '13, 8:06 a.m.
thanks to both of you. I'll got look at the workshop.

ok, I missed a step in the install.. server-config
now I got the right list of steps, but am stuck on the first one..

database vendor - DB2 (9.7 is installed locally)
load jdbc drivers.. I have no clue where those would be..

Comments
Michael Walker commented Apr 11 '13, 1:07 p.m.

Should be in the SQLLIB\java directory.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.