It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How does Rational Insight differ from Cognos BI?

Kay Johnson (2353) | asked Mar 25 '13, 1:18 p.m.
 I understand that Rational Insight provides some out of the box ETLs to connect to jazz platform products, where as Cognos 10.2 probably doesn't provide these.  What are the other differences?  Why would I choose one over the other?

One answer

permanent link
Benjamin Silverman (4.1k610) | answered Mar 25 '13, 1:44 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Kay,

Rational Insight provides the ETL's and reporting data models for CLM as well as other Rational products like RequisitePro, ClearQuest, ClearCase, FocalPoint, TestManager, DOORS.  It also ships with components required to make our ETL's work, which Cognos does not come with.  This includes a custom Rational ETL driver and some added utilities to manage your ETL configuration with the Rational products.  Insight provides a custom namespace which allows you to use your CLM authentication directory to log in to the report server.  With out of the box Cognos, you will not have the ability to run ETL against Rational products without writing your own ETL's and reporting data models.  Hope it helps!

Comments
Kay Johnson commented Mar 25 '13, 1:51 p.m.

Hi Benjamin thank you for the response.  Are there any benefits that Cognos might bring that aren't available in Rational Insight?

Benjamin Silverman commented Mar 25 '13, 2:20 p.m. | edited Mar 30 '13, 1:08 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Not that I am aware of.  What you get with Rational Insight is a Cognos installation along with Rational Insight components.  There are extensions and FixPacks for Cognos (ie - Cognos Mobile) that will install just fine on top of Insight since it's still Cognos.  We even provide the Cognos Samples along with our installation of Insight if you are reading one of the Cognos books/docs on report creation or customization.  Hope it helps,

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.