It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Licensing RTC for a small company

Daniel Reinhardt (313) | asked Mar 24 '13, 5:48 a.m.
Hello,

I have a few questions about licensing options:

We will need 10-12 Developer Licenses. Can we start with the 10 free developers and add one or two developer for workgroup licenses to them?
Or do we need the developer for workgroup starter-pack to add payed licenses?
Is it possible to begin with the 10 free and upgrade to the starter-pack later, if we need support from IBM?
Is it correct that, if we use the starter-pack, we will get a free (included) license for DB2 for Workgroups and WebSphere 8?

Thank you for your help.

Daniel

Comments
Davyd Norris commented Mar 24 '13, 7:33 p.m.

Hey mate!! Long time no talk!

Ping me and I'll go through it with you - by far the best option for you would most likely be the Developer for Workgroups Starter Pack plus a couple of top ups. But call or email me.

Dave

Accepted answer

permanent link
Dr. Hans-Joachim Pross (1.1k4458) | answered Mar 24 '13, 8:20 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Daniel,

you can add payed developer for workgroup licenses to the 10 free developers. In this model you have community on jazz.net support for all (12) licenses. If you would prefer having 24x7 IBM support for all (12) licenses, you need need to purchase the RTC Developer for Workgroups Starter Pack. This will "convert" your 10 free in to 10 "paid" with 24x7 support...

Hope that helps
  Hajo
Daniel Reinhardt selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Daniel Reinhardt commented Mar 24 '13, 8:55 a.m. | edited Mar 24 '13, 10:39 a.m.

Ok, thank you Hajo.

So then we will start with the 10 free licenses and add 2 payed Developer for Workgroup Licenses with community support with the option to switch to 24/7 support in the future by purchasing the starter pack.

Information on the Download-Page says:
4 Each valid client license includes a license to run one instance of DB2 Workgroup or Enterprise Edition (excludes z/OS) and one instance of WebSphere Application Server in support of Rational Team Concert. Trials of DB2 and WebSphere Application Server are also available. Express editions of WebSphere Application Server 7.0 and 8.0 are also available for IBM i at no additional charge by ordering Web Enablement for IBM i. See system requirements for details.

So if we use at least one payed license, we could use DB2 for Workgroups and WAS for free?

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

Geoffrey Clemm commented Mar 24 '13, 10:42 a.m. | edited Mar 25 '13, 12:39 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I would not recommend using the Derby database for any production work, so if you are only using the free licenses, I would recommend using DB2 Express-C, which you are entitled to use with the free licenses.  Tomcat should be fine for 10 or fewer users.

Davyd Norris commented Mar 24 '13, 7:38 p.m.

The Free licenses limit you to deployment on Tomcat only, and to either Derby or DB2 Express-C. You do not have entitlement to licenses of DB2 Workgroup or Enterprise Edition, or to WAS.

In order to get entitlement to WAS and DB2 Workgroup/Enterprise you have to have valid IBM purchased licenses - basically convert the free licenses to a Developer for Workgroups Starter Pack and you are fine!

Daniel Reinhardt commented Mar 25 '13, 3:22 a.m. | edited Mar 25 '13, 3:23 a.m.

Ok, to sum up, we have 2 options:

1. Stick with the 10 free licenses + 2 Developer for Workgroups with

• DB2 Express-C
  • Tomcat
  • Community Support
2. Get the Developer for Workgroups Starter-Pack + 2 Developer for Workgroups with
  • DB2 for Workgroups / DB2 Enterprise
  • WebSphere Application Server or Tomcat
  • Full 24/7 Support
And we could switch from the free licenses to the starter pack at any time.

Thank you,
Daniel

Simon Eickel commented Apr 08 '13, 10:22 a.m.

Hi Geoff,

what's the cause you don't recommend using Derby database for production work?
Data loss, security or something else?

Greetings,
Simon

Dr. Hans-Joachim Pross commented Apr 08 '13, 10:45 a.m. | edited Apr 08 '13, 10:49 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Simon,
main reason is performance.
Look this and this thread.

Marc Towersap commented Apr 08 '13, 12:53 p.m. | edited Apr 08 '13, 1:36 p.m.

Derby's not that great a database to use. I find 'real' databases much easier to query.  Besides, if you want to use more than 10 users, you can't use derby anyway (at least according to RTC server installation instructions).

As for the version of RTC, I'd recommend using the latest release.  I have found trying to use the 10 'free' licenses difficult when looking at RTC 4.0, the 10 'free' licenses didn't work at first, took a while for them to fix the 10 free users (there was one out there that I had to hunt for that turned out to be a 10 user 90 day trial version).

I wished RTC would support more than the big three expensive db's (db2, oracle, sql server).  Not sure if you can use the free version of oracle (oracle database express edition) to support more-than-10 if you are an oracle-database shop. 

Marc Towersap commented Apr 08 '13, 12:55 p.m. | edited Apr 08 '13, 1:36 p.m.

oh, didn't see that the 10 free users limit you to derby/db2.  I guess that answers the oracle question!

Geoffrey Clemm commented Apr 08 '13, 1:32 p.m. | edited Apr 08 '13, 1:37 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Yes, performance is the only reason I recommend against using Derby for production use.

showing 5 of 9 show 4 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.