It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Commandline install of RRDI for Linux 64 bit via PuTTY

Mike Shkolnik (9809161143) | asked Mar 18 '13, 2:24 p.m.

The goal is a commandline install via PuTTY of RRDI Linux 64 bit with the WAS runtime that comes with RRDI. We will be using an MSSQL database we have setup on a separate MS SQL 2008 server for this purpose.

I can't seem to find all the instructions in one place. So far I downloaded:

RRDI-repo-Linux64-2.0.1.zip

and

RRDI-Web-Installer-Linux-2.0.1.zip

and unzipped the files/folders into /opt/app/jazzInstall/rrdi2 and /opt/app/jazzInstall/rrdi2web respectively.

IM 1.6 is already installed (was used for 4.0.1).

With RTC 4.0.1, the process was as follows:

cd /opt/app/jazzInstall/rtc4web/im/linux.gtk.x86

vi silent-install-server.xml

find <repository location='../repo' temporary='true' />

change ../repo to:

/opt/app/jazzInstall/rtc4

change installLocation="/opt/app/jazz4"

Save the file (<esc>:wq)

This does not appear to be the case with RRDI. I found a file called silent-install.ini, but that does not appear to be the same thing. Can someone explain to me how to do a commandline install of RRDI through PuTTY? Note that I don’t really need a “silent” install, as long as the prompts work through the commandline via PuTTY.

2 answers

permanent link
Xuan Jiang (37858) | answered Mar 18 '13, 8:41 p.m.
reverted Mar 18 '13, 8:47 p.m.
Mike - If you are looking for a sample silent-install response file for Linux, here is the one what I'm using for RRDI 201.
You need change the repository and offering ID settings according to your environment.

After that, run
IBMIM --launcher.ini silent-install.ini -input YOUR_RESPONSE_FILE.xml -acceptLicense
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!--The "acceptLicense" attribute has been deprecated. Use "-acceptLicense" command line option to accept license agreements.-->
<agent-input acceptLicense='true'>
<server>
<repository location='YOUR_REPOSITORY'/>
</server>
<profile id='IBM Rational Reporting' installLocation='/opt/IBM/RRDI'>
<data key='eclipseLocation' value='/opt/IBM/RRDI'/>
<data key='user.import.profile' value='false'/>
<data key='cic.selector.os' value='linux'/>
<data key='cic.selector.arch' value='x86_64'/>
<data key='cic.selector.ws' value='gtk'/>
<data key='user.com.ibm.team.install.zip.creation' value='true'/>
<data key='user.com.ibm.team.install.prereq.timestamp' value='20130319-0723-19'/>
<data key='user.com.ibm.team.install.jfs.migration-options.server-shortcut-key-prefix' value='JazzTeamServer'/>
<data key='user.com.ibm.team.install.jfs.app.jazz.context-root' value='jts'/>
<data key='user.com.ibm.team.install.jfs.app.rtc.context-root' value='ccm'/>
<data key='user.com.ibm.team.install.jfs.app.rqm.context-root' value='qm'/>
<data key='user.com.ibm.team.install.jfs.app.rdm.context-root' value='rm'/>
<data key='user.com.ibm.team.install.jfs.app.admin.context-root' value='admin'/>
<data key='user.com.ibm.team.install.jfs.appserver.noappserver.disable' value='true'/>
<data key='user.com.ibm.team.install.jfs.appserver.tomcat.disable' value='false'/>
<data key='user.JazzFoundationServer.NoAppServer.WebApps.InstallLocation' value='/opt/IBM/RRDI/server/webapps'/>
<data key='cic.selector.nl' value='en'/>
</profile>
<install modify='false'>
<offering id='com.ibm.rational.rrdi.20' version='YOUR_OFFERING_ID' profile='IBM Rational Reporting' features='com.ibm.rational.rrdi.check.windows.admin.feature,com.ibm.rational.rrdi.arch.warning.feature,com.ibm.rational.rrdi.check.libs.feature,com.ibm.rational.rrdi.stoprrdi.warning.feature,com.ibm.rational.rrdi.antivirus.warning.feature,com.ibm.rational.rrdi.main.feature,com.ibm.rational.rrdi.check.cognosreboot.feature,com.ibm.team.install.jfs.offering.feature.id.tomcat' installFixes='none'/>
</install>
<preference name='com.ibm.cic.common.core.preferences.eclipseCache' value='/opt/IBM/IMShared'/>
<preference name='com.ibm.cic.common.core.preferences.connectTimeout' value='30'/>
<preference name='com.ibm.cic.common.core.preferences.readTimeout' value='45'/>
<preference name='com.ibm.cic.common.core.preferences.downloadAutoRetryCount' value='0'/>
<preference name='offering.service.repositories.areUsed' value='false'/>
<preference name='com.ibm.cic.common.core.preferences.ssl.nonsecureMode' value='false'/>
<preference name='com.ibm.cic.common.core.preferences.http.disablePreemptiveAuthentication' value='false'/>
<preference name='http.ntlm.auth.kind' value='NTLM'/>
<preference name='http.ntlm.auth.enableIntegrated.win32' value='true'/>
<preference name='com.ibm.cic.common.core.preferences.preserveDownloadedArtifacts' value='true'/>
<preference name='com.ibm.cic.common.core.preferences.keepFetchedFiles' value='false'/>
<preference name='PassportAdvantageIsEnabled' value='false'/>
<preference name='com.ibm.cic.common.core.preferences.searchForUpdates' value='false'/>
<preference name='com.ibm.cic.agent.ui.displayInternalVersion' value='false'/>
<preference name='com.ibm.cic.common.sharedUI.showErrorLog' value='true'/>
<preference name='com.ibm.cic.common.sharedUI.showWarningLog' value='true'/>
<preference name='com.ibm.cic.common.sharedUI.showNoteLog' value='true'/>
</agent-input>

Comments
Mike Shkolnik commented Mar 21 '13, 5:47 p.m.

With RTC, we needed to download both the web install zip and the repository zip. For RRDI, do we only need the repository zip and not the web install zip?

For us, IM is installed to:
/opt/app/home/jazzadm/IBM/InstallationManager/

and rrdi will be installed to:
/opt/app/rrdi

For the following line:

<preference name="com.ibm.cic.common.core.preferences.eclipseCache" value="/opt/IBM/IMShared"/>

Is that referring to a folder you manually created or is it automatically created by the install? Should that folder reside in the IM install location (which is in a completely different location for us) or the RRDI install location? Is there any problem moving that folder down one level into the rrdi install folder, such as "/opt/app/rrdi/IMShared" ? (permissions issue for us at the higher folder level) Or to the IM install at "/opt/app/home/jazzadm/IBM/IMShared"?

Lastly, what is "YOUR_OFFERING_ID"? Can you give an example?

Thanks much.

Kot T. commented Apr 04 '13, 5:40 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

With RTC, we needed to download both the web install zip and the repository zip. For RRDI, do we only need the repository zip and not the web install zip?
==> I am not sure why both web and repo zip are needed. I would expect the repository zip to be sufficient.

Is that referring to a folder you manually created or is it automatically created by the install?
<preference name="com.ibm.cic.common.core.preferences.eclipseCache" value="/opt/IBM/IMShared"/>
==> The 'Shared Resource Directory' can be anywhere on your file system where the user can read and write to. You do not need to create the folder manually. This location can be specified only the first time you install a package. Subsequent install of additional packages will use the same directory. Refer to the following link:
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/install/v1r2/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.cic.agent.ui.doc%2Ftopics%2Fc_install_location.html

Kot T. commented Apr 05 '13, 9:38 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

what is "YOUR_OFFERING_ID"? Can you give an example?
- A sample offering version from a 2.0.1 install is as below:
<offering id='
com.ibm.rational.rrdi.20' version='2.0.1000.rrdi201-I20121114_0020' profile='IBM Rational Reporting' features='
com.ibm.rational.rrdi.check.windows.admin.feature,
com.ibm.rational.rrdi.arch.warning.feature,
com.ibm.rational.rrdi.check.libs.feature,
com.ibm.rational.rrdi.stoprrdi.warning.feature,
com.ibm.rational.rrdi.antivirus.warning.feature,
com.ibm.rational.rrdi.main.feature,
com.ibm.rational.rrdi.check.cognosreboot.feature,
com.ibm.team.install.jfs.offering.feature.id.tomcat' installFixes='none'/>

Ref:
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.rational.rrdi.admin.doc%2Ftopics%2Fr_im_silent.html

"The version number is optional. If no version is specified, the Installation Manager will install the most recent product with the specified id and any available updates and fixes."

Mike Shkolnik commented Apr 08 '13, 3:14 p.m.

Well, I've already run into a weird problem. It's claiming I need root privileges to do this install. How do I do this without root privileges like I did for RTC 2, 3, & 4?

./userinstc --launcher.ini silent-install.ini -input silent-install.xml -acceptLicense

CRIMC1018E ERROR: Administrator privileges are required.

You started the Installation Manager in administrator mode, but you do not have the required administrator privileges. On Microsoft Windows XP Professional, you must be a member of an administrator group. On Windows Vista, Windows 2008, Windows 7, and Windows 8, you must use the Run as administrator option. On Linux, UNIX, Mac OS X, IBM i, and z/OS, you must have root privileges.

To use the Run as administrator option on Windows:
1. Right-click the executable icon.
2. Select Run as administrator.
3. Enter an administrator password when prompted for either an administrator password or a confirmation.
4. Click Continue.

permanent link
Indradri Basu (1.8k1514) | answered Mar 18 '13, 2:42 p.m.

Hi Mike,

Although I haven't tried the silent install myself but it appears that what you are looking for is there in the below link.

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.rational.rrdi.admin.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_im_silent.html

Comments
Mike Shkolnik commented Mar 18 '13, 2:46 p.m. | edited Mar 22 '13, 8:24 p.m.

Yah, I saw that, but creating a response file from scratch is not what I'm looking for. I do not have the knowledge required to fill in the huge chunk of information missing from those instructions. And their sample response file is for Windows.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.