It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

hideIfEndpointEmpty does not hide Workflow State presentation

Fred Atwater (23810) | asked Mar 14 '13, 9:31 a.m.
The Editor Presentation Property hideIfEndpointEmpty in the Web UI has a different name in the Eclipse UI: Hide if no link exists. In the Eclipse there is a list of link types to select. In the Web UI, the value field is free text so it is unclear whether it should have a link type or true/false

In RTC V4.0.1 I have selected the Property: hideIfEndpointEmpty to have the values Parent and true in the Workflow State editor presentation. In the Eclipse editor I have set Hide if no link exists to Parent. This is to force a Defect to be associated with a work item before work on it begins. No matter the UI I use to set the value or the value selected, the workflow state still appears and is editable. Is there another step I need to take to hide it until it is linked?

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Mar 14 '13, 11:36 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Fred,

I don't think this was ever meant to be used for the state, however, since it is available, you should consider to file a defect or a PMR.

As a user, I would hate this kind of implementation. A better, but more expensive solution would be to write an advisor that prevents saving of the work item if there is no defect linked to it and provides a clear message also. See https://jazz.net/forum/questions/105644/can-not-change-contributor-list-type-and-duration-type-to-readonly/105789 for a similar question and some hints on how to proceed.

Comments
Fred Atwater commented Mar 14 '13, 3:33 p.m.

Adding an advisor may be a more elegant solution, but it has a couple of problems. I find it very annoying in RTC to update a work item only to get an error message when I try to save that I did it wrong. If I can be prevented from doing it in the first place that is preferable. Also, modifying the editor presentation is less invasive, so it presents fewer problems with new versions and other changes. To complete my description, I planned to present a message if there was no link selected. The message would be replaced by the workflow state when the link is selected.

I will file a PMR to have this enabled.

Fred Atwater commented Mar 18 '13, 2:06 p.m.

Interesting that the thread referenced above includes an additional comment that contains a link, https://jazz.net/library/article/808/ , that proposes essentially the same solution I asked about. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.